"Big Black, the makeover" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > "Big Black, the makeover"

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-19-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
cherokeecrawler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

"Big Black, the makeover"

I got my 92 cherokee a little over a year now. I traded a lifted wj that i had for this jeep and everything was mostly already done to it and I have decided its time for my to do some things to it. Its currently running a 8.5 rustys long arm kit with some 35x13.50 TOYO open countries.

I noticed that one of my leaf springs were sagging a little so that gave me an excuse to get a new lift set up
In this new lift set up i hope to achieve a few things
1. I drive this to and from school a good bit which is 45 minutes away so i want some smaller springs and maybe get a little better ride rather than the crazy stiff 8 inch coil springs i currently have.
2. The new lift set up ill be doing will be lowering the jeep about 1.5-2 inches wich will make the jeep a little more stable. 8 inches of lift is just to big for 35s.
3. Hopfully the softer springs will allow a little more flex also.

So i ordered some goodies this past weekend and they just came in tonight.

Some RC 6.5 inch springs and shackle relocators!

Ill be putting a 3/4 inch spacer/isolator on top of the spring so have aroung 7.25 inch lift in the front
A few months ago I got a deal on some new 4.5 inch RC leag packs on craigslist. So i will be using those along with the 2 inch shackle i currently have and the shackle relocators I just got. So i hoping I will be able to match the same 7.25-7.5 lift in the rear to get it as close as I can to the front.
Ill be putting all this on either tomorrow or friday. I am also waiting on some anti roll TRE spacers and Bar Pin Eliminatiors to come in before I start on the new front suspension.
More pics to come.....

cherokeecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
jeepjunkymike
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 12-20-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
Rockdrummer93
Web Wheeler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Lookin good Chase!

OffroadSC
Rockdrummer93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I'm really digging those flares! What kind of steering setup are you running? and How does it track on the road?

I have 6.5" of lift with a Currie HD setup and 32" tires, there's a little deadspot in the steering because of the inverted-Y. I've been thinking about a high steer setup with a RHD link, but this would mean ditching the Currie. I'll atleast be using a gofirit insert on the drivers side.

Also, are you running stock axles and ratios? I'm hesitant to upgrade my tire size beyond 32" because of my stock axles.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
cherokeecrawler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Im currently running the Rocky Road high steer kit. It probably wouldnt have been what i would have done with the steering set up on this jeep but i really havnt had any issues with the steering. The only thing ive done to it is the steering stabilizer mount and trac bar mount broke loose from the axle so i had a local 4x4 shop weld that back up and put 4 new HD tie rods in. Yes my steering has a slight dead spot and the cause of it is a combination of 2 things.
1. My steering box is warn out, you can clearly see the input shaft turning of the box turning if i get someone to turn the whell but the pitman arm wont move so i know that is a reason for my dead spot
2. The second reason is with the steering i have each way i turn the wheel the tie rod rolls. Hopefully this will be solved with the rubber spacer bushings that I ordeder

To answer the question about the axles and gear ratio's, yes they are cherokee axles just not what came in the jeep. I have a d44 in the rear wich came out of a late 80's cherokee or commanche and the front is an HP30 with a truss. Both ox locked with 4.56 gears. I love the gearing in my jeep. I wouldnt be able to drive it as much as i do if i didnt have the gears.

The guy in the post above, Rockdrummer, ran 35s with stock gearing for a while and he said its fine as long as you can pay to drive a jeep that gets 8 miles to the gallon He now runs 35's with 4.88 gears. I also had a wj before this that had some 33's with stock gearing and it was fine except for the 9 miles to the gallon around town. And as long as your easy on the skinny pedal while wheelin. In my opinion though, if you want to go larger that 33's, go ahead and plan on regearing sometime down the road.

Last edited by cherokeecrawler; 12-20-2012 at 12:48 PM..
Unread 12-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
cherokeecrawler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

And to answer the question about tracking straight down the road, I drive it back and forth to school pretty frequently which is 40 miles down the highway. It drives straight down the road doesnt wonder much. It still rides like a horse and buggy though which is why Im putting softer springs on it. Hopefully the TRE spacers will help with the play in the steering also.
Unread 12-20-2012, 05:11 PM   #7
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

It sounds like a pretty good setup, I would recommend the Dodge Steering box with a spacer if you replace yours.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #8
cherokeecrawler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah that's exactly what I was planning. Have you done that to yours?
Unread 12-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
cherokeecrawler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Got the Rear done last night. Went pretty smoothly other than getting a bolt cross threaded and having to re tap the hole. Im very satisfied at how it turned how and how it sits. It dropped the rear about an inch and a quarter so its sittin at around 7.5 inches of lift. I expect the springs to settle some and may have to move the shackle back one hole in the relocator when they do. But here are a few pics.

Before

After
Jeep Squat!

Gonna need to do some trimming. Only has about 2 inches up travel before the shackle hits the bracket when the shackle is in the far front hole.

Ill get started on the front either tonight or tomorrow afternoon. Got new control arm mini skids and bar pin eliminatiors to put in also. New bump stops will also be getting made.
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
thetank
1998 XJ Cherokee 

jeeps looking good. i like that your bringing it down a bit. i think 6.5in or so on 35s looks really good. let me know how you like those shackle re locators i would like to pick up, or make a set some day soon.
Dayn.
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
cherokeecrawler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man. Just finished up the front springs on the jeep tonight. It all went well and i ended up at about 6 and 3/4 in the front and 6.5 in the rear. Once the springs settle some i may replace the .75 spacer with a one inch spacer and move my shackle one hole back on the rolocators. The relocators turned out nice I really like how its changed my shackle angle and all. Since my shackle is in the hole at the very front i only have about 2 inches of up travel before the shackle hits the relocator bracket. So i will either have to trim or move the shackle back a hole to see if that will work but here are a few pics from the project.

Check out the spring difference!

Bump stop extentions

All finished

Right front stuffed. Got the bumpe stop height perfect also because they are about a quater inch from touching in this pic

Right rear flexed a little. The shackle relocators added much more droop in the rear

Hopefully get to the mini skids in the next couple of days. Still waiting on bar pin eliminators and tie rod spacers from JCR.
Unread 12-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
cherokeecrawler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Moved the shackle one hole back on the relocator. Im not going to need to trim the bracket any to be able to stuff my tire. Which I was glad about that. Added about 3/4 of an inch and is now at about 7.25 and I really like how the project turned out. Rides 10 times better. Got my JCR Tie rod spacers today so I will be putting those on tomorrow.

Unread 12-22-2012, 11:11 PM   #13
thetank
1998 XJ Cherokee 

looks good. looks like the back flexes well now. im glad to here the re locators are working out.
Unread 12-24-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
cherokeecrawler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

thanks tank. How did your durango steering box swap go? Next weekend my local pull apart junk yard is having half off everything so im gonna go try and pull a durango box.
Unread 12-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #15
cherokeecrawler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Went to gulches ORV in Laurens SC Thursday and friday and had a little camping trip. Few pics from the trip.

The morning i was suppose to leave for the wheeling trip I realized my trac bar mount was now too long and was hitting my tie rod when flexed. I had to take off the mount and cut 2 inches off with a sawzall. I then redrilled the hole and mounted it back up and hooked the trac bar up. Now i will need a stock jeep cherokee pitman arm to raise my drag link. Ill be going monday to get that and a durango steering box.

The only issue i experienced was the trail in the second pic above. My rear leaf un loaded and shackle went forward and I was stuck because i couldnt back up or i would have broken my new leaf spring. I just hooked my winch to a budy parked above me and winched myself up a foot or so then made it up the rest of the way. Going to need to weld in a limiting bar to stop the shackle before it going past a certain point. I will post pics of the durango swap when done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.