BF Goodrich road noise? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > BF Goodrich road noise?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-06-2005, 04:21 PM   #1
bamafan378

BF Goodrich road noise?

ive had some bf goodrichs 30x9.5 since about the end of july and they've been great but recently they've been making a lot of road noise especially the front drivers side one. it sounds like somthing is stuck on it and just constantly makes a bump bump....bump bump noise has anyone else had this problem and is there anything to do? (ive already rotated the tires from front to back and back to front)

bamafan378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
olds442
1999 XJ Cherokee 

do they have the right air pressure?
VT
olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2005, 05:31 PM   #3
twisted_ed

rocks stuck in the tread? thats what makes mine noisy, or a rock or dirt or rust in the center cap of a wheel? makes noises too
NP242 Transfer case
Dana 30 front, 35 custom rear differentials

Mods:

RE 4.5" Lift
32x11.50 BFGoodRich M/T KM's
American Eagle 058 Polished Aluminum Wheels, 3.63" BS.
Grand Cherokee Rear Disc Brake setup
Custom Downpipe W/ Cat Removed.
Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler.
Surco Roof Rack

My Jeep
twisted_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Twisted

When you rotated your tires was the noise still coming from the front drivers?

[U]My vehicles[/U]
97 Cherokee: 4.0, RE Lift, 33" Trxus MT's, Yukon 4.56's, and locked front and rear...
87 Mazda Extra cab p/u: 2.5" body drop and full air ride
99 Honda Civic SI: Electron Blue Pearl - [color=red]Sold[/color][/size]
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
bamafan378

when i rotated my tires it was coming from everywhere but now it's just this one tire. yea the roator and center cap is really rusty but there isnt anything i can do bout that is there? yea i checked it and there arent any rocks in the thread but ive had then in there before and it didnt do this bad but i may just rotate them back today and see how it does b/c it doesnt seem like there is anything else i can do. yea when i rotated it the pressure was like 32 and put it up to 35 and now i checked it this mornin it was at 32 but i think it's just b/c it's cold ill just wait till the afternoon to check again
Unread 10-08-2005, 09:25 AM   #6
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

what kind of BFG's do you have? Did you hit something to throw the wheel out of round or anything?
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2005, 09:29 AM   #7
'88 Cherokee

Is the ride any worse than before? Like has it gotten rougher or anything to that effect... If it has, check your tread to see if the offending tire is chopping out.. Depending on how they rotated them pattern-wise, that may explain why the other tires shut-up and this one is still making noise.
As for the rusty center cap, try some Rust-Eater, some WD-40, and some 0000 steel wool - in that order. If it's surface rust, those sprays and some scrubbing with the S-W should take care of it.
'88 Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2005, 09:30 AM   #8
bamafan378

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000SportJeep
what kind of BFG's do you have? Did you hit something to throw the wheel out of round or anything?
BFG ALL-Terrain T/A KO's.....the only thing i can think of is the stupid speed bumps at school
Unread 10-08-2005, 09:32 AM   #9
'88 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafan378
BFG ALL-Terrain T/A KO's.....the only thing i can think of is the stupid speed bumps at school
If the tire were out of round you'd feel it in the steering wheel and throughout the entire vehicle. You can check around the sidewall on the inside and outside and see if there's any bubbles. The wheel should be fine, in order to mess up the rim hitting something you'd have to annihilated/bubble the tire first due to the amount of sidewall
'88 Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2005, 09:32 AM   #10
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamafan378
well unless you hit them at like 40 or 50mph... i don't think you have to worry.. im talking about kinda fast hitting a solid object... something is out of whack on your vehicle.. maybe you lost a wheel weight or something.. prob should just go check for them and maybe get it rebalanced..

If you take that wheel/tire and move it does the sound/vibe move with it?
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.