best way to mount a roof rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > best way to mount a roof rack

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-15-2003, 10:36 PM   #1
5150gunner

best way to mount a roof rack

i see that you can either mount it to the rain gutters or the factory tracks.which way is better?it will be a surco or thule rack,unless some one makes a better rack in the 45x50 size.

5150gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2003, 11:24 AM   #2
DefaZ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150gunner
i see that you can either mount it to the rain gutters or the factory tracks.which way is better?it will be a surco or thule rack,unless some one makes a better rack in the 45x50 size.
Check the weight limits on each. I would guess the gutters would be stronger because they are closer to the "shell" of the ride. Unless the stock rails are reinforced somehow, they're just bolted to the sheetmetal.
DefaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2003, 04:54 AM   #3
sunshine

I would advise against Surco. Bought one in May of this year w/ gutter mounts and two weeks ago one bracket broke and second one cracked half way. I never put any 'real' weight on it, except 31 tire and hi-lift. Thinking now about using Thule brackets and making my own rack
98 XJ Sport, 3.5" RE + 3/4" spacers, JKS QD, 31x10.5 BFG A/T KO, 15x8 Tech1 Rockcrawlers, Optima Red Top, Flowmaster Delta 40, TBS, Safari Snorkel , Rusty's steering brace, adj. track-bar, rock sliders, the list is still very long...
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2003, 07:20 AM   #4
EnderUSAF

I'd say just use duct tape......... that stuff's great......
EnderUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2003, 10:11 AM   #5
OBXJeepin

I just bought a Yakima Rack that attaches to the factory rack. Installed it this weekend. Pretty solid and the pair of bars (48") are rated for 167 lbs. I'll mainly be haulin surfboards so weight limit isnt much of a concern.

I actually think it can hold more than that if you load it properly but i'm sure Yakima has made their wieght limit conservativly low so they dont get in any trouble. The bars and rack I have seen for as little as 60 bucks on sale online. If you want i can track down a few addresses for you.

Their system has lots of attachments for any sport you can think of. Let me know.

Mike
OBXJeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2003, 05:03 PM   #6
sunshine

60 bucks sounds sweet, let me know where. I was thinking @ Thule, since it's a square bar and it would be easir to make/weld a rack on top of it. But I'm in the planning phase, so the concept might change. Thanks a lot in advance!
98 XJ Sport, 3.5" RE + 3/4" spacers, JKS QD, 31x10.5 BFG A/T KO, 15x8 Tech1 Rockcrawlers, Optima Red Top, Flowmaster Delta 40, TBS, Safari Snorkel , Rusty's steering brace, adj. track-bar, rock sliders, the list is still very long...
Unread 10-20-2003, 06:30 PM   #7
MainelyXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150gunner

I think the rain gutter mounting method is the strongest. The stock rack on a Cherokee is on mountied to the sheet metal of the roof. The fastening points are very easy to break off. I know this from experience. If you are planning on carrying any weight at all, especially under the harshness of offroad travel (bumps, body flexing) the rain gutters are the way to go.

I have a Kargo Master rack. So far I like it. It comes with a long list of attachments. I believe it is rate at 700lbs which is probably way more than what the rain gutters could handle.

I hope this helps.
MainelyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2003, 07:56 PM   #8
HelicalRodeo

I bought the Thule roof rack that mounts to the factory rack and I love it. I drove across country with 2 bikes and a thule box loaded with gear in it. Probably about 200 lbs total. I used to sell these racks at a ski shop so I did a little research before I bought mine.

Thule products are tested to ensure the best fit (if I remember right they're tested in a wind tunnel or some BS so that their aren't any gaps).

I'm pretty sure the rated weight limit for both the factory rack mount and the gutter mount are the same. From my experience with racks (I had a thule rack on my old civic for 5 years, now on my Cherokee for 1 year), the weight issue is usually due to bar flexing. Might not be a big deal with a basket, but when you're hanging a bike off the side, these things sway a little.

If you think about it, the factory rack will attach in four places (just like the gutter will) but it attaches to the rails which are already there. This allows for even greater weight distribution b/c the rails run the full length. I would guess the weight gets distributed over about 8 inches of the roof at each attachment point, for a total of 32 inches (just a rough estimate). Anyway, my roof has never even gotten close to flexing with my rack.

One thing, if you go with the rack which mounts to the factory rack, I had to break these little clips on the end of the stock rails in order to get the end caps off (then slide the mounting hardware on). I don't even know why they were there, over engineering I guess. See if the place where you buy it will mount the rack for you (for no charge, you'll be spending enough on the rack).

There is nothing better than throwing all your crap on top of the jeep. Good luck!!!!
HelicalRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2003, 10:05 AM   #9
OBXJeepin

60 bucks sounds sweet, let me know where. I was thinking @ Thule, since it's a square bar and it would be easir to make/weld a rack on top of it. But I'm in the planning phase, so the concept might change. Thanks a lot in advance!

I found this one again at bikepro.com.

22-01-04 YAKIMA ROUND BARS - PAIR- 48",58", 66", 78".$ 31.99

22-01-0201/2 YAKIMA RAILRIDER 1 or 2 TOWER - SET of 4....$ 53.99
22-01-0204/5 YAKIMA LOCKING RAIL RIDER 1 or 2 - SET of 4.$ 84.99

I have the 48" with the Rail Rider 2 Tower set up. I have a 96 cherokee sport and it took longer to get em out of the box and read the instructions then it took to put em on the truck!! Piece of cake. They are adjustable along the whole lenght of the rails. A note, the Rail Rider 2 Tower attachments are discontinued. They were replaced with the Q Tower.

This site also has Thule stuff, i havent looked at it.

I havent been able to find that $60 set up...thought i booked marked it cuz it was such a deal . I"ll keep looking.

Hope this helped.
Unread 10-21-2003, 10:09 AM   #10
OBXJeepin

OK I found it again...i knew i wasnt going crazy. This is a pretty good deal, they are the locking RR2 Towers too. Check em out!

http://www.jerseypaddler.com/shop/ip...d=lrrider2_yak

They are on sale right now so get on it!!

Mike
Unread 10-21-2003, 01:17 PM   #11
mountaindrew

I just got done building my own custom roof rack and I made mounts for the rain gutters. that thing isn't going anywhere! It is strong enough to get up there and stand on and it doesnt flex. i thenk the rain gutters,( which is where the roof is welded to the body) is a very strong point.
mountaindrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2003, 04:43 AM   #12
sunshine

OBX: thanks for the link, it is a great deal on Yakima. However, I think I will look for Thule--bars are rectangular and it will be easier to weld rectangular rack, than round.
mountaindrew: post some pics of your rack, I'm collecting ideas

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.