Best starter to buy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Best starter to buy

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
cnskate

Best starter to buy

My starter was replaced a little over a year ago and cranks like a champ usually, but the solenoid is crappiing out. Had to do the hammer tap thing last night. I can get a new solenoid for $40 locally, or a new, not remanufactured Napa or Bosch for $140. A very reputable local shop also sells an in house rebuilt one for $130. I'm planning some big backcountry trips for this car, so reliablity is key. Which starter would you choose?

Unread 01-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If reliability is key, then no question....buy a NEW starter with solenoid. Hate to replace the solenoid only to find that the starter itself craps out of you when you are in timbuktu. You could probably get by with just replacing the solenoid though as your starter is only a year old.

Here's how I rate replacement hardware:
#1. Brand New
#2. Remanufactured (everything inside must meet OEM factory specs generally)
#3. Rebuilt. I'm not crazy about rebuilt stuff as in my experience, it's hit and miss. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't. Rebuilt is not the same as remanufactured. Rebuilt "generally" means only that the piece has been repaired to the level of failure. That means that there might be something else inside that is marginal that could go out in another month. I generally have better things to do with my time than to perform the repair twice so unless I'm having trouble coming up with enough coin for the gas bill, I don't buy rebuilt stuff.

My 2 cents!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
cnskate

I think I'll just get the new one. I just talked to the dealer parts guy and he said that the remanufactured ones don't last very long, which is my experience. He said that the main reason for failure is them getting oil saturated.
Unread 01-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
fedrusion
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The hammer and tap useually indicates that the starter motor itself is going bad, definetly find a diferent starter and not just replace the solenoid.
5.5" Composite lift, Rough Country Control Arm Drop Brackets, 31X10.5X15 Dayton Timberline AT's On Canyons, 31X10.5 Firestone Destination MT's, P.O.R.C. SYE and front CV Drive Shaft, Homemade Short Ram Intake, Locked 8.25. Comming Soon: Stroker.
2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo (To be left alone) Wife's. http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...n/IMG_0007.jpg
fedrusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
Blue XJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

I replaced mine with the lifetime warranty one from Autozone. The new one lasted about 3 years and then seized up after sitting for a while. banged on it with a hammer to get it to crank, it worked fine for a few weeks after that, but I took it in and had them give me a new one, just so I didn't have to replace it in the middle of winter when it seizes for good.
Blue Jeep Club Member #72
| 4.6L Stroker | AW4 | 6.5" RK Long Arm Kit | 35" TruXus MT's | HP30, 4.56, ARB, Alloys, Lockouts | C8.25, 4.56, ARB, Alloy Shafts, Disk Brakes | Warn XD9000i | Interior Cage |
Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #6
Blurple
2004 WJ 

Just repaired my starter over the holidays. Way cheaper than replacing. All it needed was a new bendix. $26 Canadian and about 1.5 hours work.

You could hear the starter spining well, but it was not engaging 100% of the time. Took 2 or 3 key turns for the starter to engage. Never needed to use the hammer tap so it may not be exactly what you need.
Blurple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
staggwj
1999 WJ 

what is the hammer trick that you guys are talking about? sorry if im a n00b
Stock for now
staggwj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
creaky70
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by staggwj
what is the hammer trick that you guys are talking about? sorry if im a n00b
When the starter and/or solenoid is going bad, and the starter won't engage when the key is turned to start, holding the key in the start position and having an assistant rap the starter with a hammer will usually cause the starter to operate if nothing else is wrong.
creaky70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2008, 07:19 AM   #9
Blue XJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurple
Just repaired my starter over the holidays. Way cheaper than replacing. All it needed was a new bendix. $26 Canadian and about 1.5 hours work.

You could hear the starter spining well, but it was not engaging 100% of the time. Took 2 or 3 key turns for the starter to engage. Never needed to use the hammer tap so it may not be exactly what you need.

What is a new bendix? Bendix is a brand, not a part?
| 4.6L Stroker | AW4 | 6.5" RK Long Arm Kit | 35" TruXus MT's | HP30, 4.56, ARB, Alloys, Lockouts | C8.25, 4.56, ARB, Alloy Shafts, Disk Brakes | Warn XD9000i | Interior Cage |
Unread 01-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #10
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue XJ
What is a new bendix? Bendix is a brand, not a part?
Here's a basic explanation:

http://www.ctci.org/membership/Gilsg...rterBendix.htm
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #11
Blurple
2004 WJ 

To add further:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The Bendix drive is still in widespread use at the beginning of the 21st century, so much so that mechanics often refer to such a mechanism simply as a "bendix".
Bendix on Wikipedia

Kind of like Kleenex, how often do you hear someone ask for facial tissue?
Blurple is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
TMCXJ
1996 ZJ 

Another thing to check is the heater control valve which is located a little more than a foot directly above the starter. This valve, if original equipment, is garbage. It becomes brittle and porous and can leak a little or a lot. Leaking a little is what can actually be more destructive than leaking a lot since if it was a very noticeable leak, you'd get right on it and replace it, but leaking only a little or not even so's you'd notice, well it just goes on doing damage to the starter. Drip. Drip. Drip...

Ask me how I know....

For a long long time, on my 1991, I thought I had serious internal engine problems because every once in awhile there'd be this high-pitch metallic clanging, chipping noise coming from the engine. I had no idea what it was until I changed the starter (ruined per the above described "little leak" process) and found that the innards of the starter were so bad... the spring/starter drive ("Bendix," LOL!!) had corroded, weakened, and broken, and the gear was free to slide along the motor shaft (which was also responsible for the screaching when trying to start and the failure to engage the teeth to crank the engine). And, when the motor was running, the gear would slide along said motor shaft and contact the teeth in the flywheel gear, causing the odd "engine" noises. Once the starter was replaced, and the control valve at the same time, WOW! what a great enginge I had, LOL! Sadly, the beast was wrecked not too many months later. Actually, exactly one year ago tonight, at 6:18 PM...

Sorry for the usual long post from me, but I thought it might help the OP and maybe others as well.
"...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine
TMCXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2008, 08:57 AM   #13
Blue XJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurple
To add further:

Bendix on Wikipedia

Kind of like Kleenex, how often do you hear someone ask for facial tissue?

I don't get internet access at work here, except for sites with chrysler, dodge or jeep in the title, so thanks for the explanation since I wasn't able to look it up.
Unread 01-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #14
cnskate

After the hammer whack it's worked several times. I'm not taking any chances though. Bought a brand spanking new one from Napa for $123 with my AAA discount.
Unread 01-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #15
Crystalship1
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnskate
After the hammer whack it's worked several times. I'm not taking any chances though. Bought a brand spanking new one from Napa for $123 with my AAA discount.
Good move!! Now you've got a new one with a nation-wide warranty!!
1997 Gunmetal Blue XJ Sport - 4.0 L. I6 - 4 Dr. - 4x4 - 1.75" BB
Crystalship1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.