Best Oil for Summer Driving... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Best Oil for Summer Driving...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday Sa

Unread 03-19-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Best Oil for Summer Driving...

So I have been doing a ton of reading, on many things. My newest question/comment is on the best oil weight to use for summer driving.

Ideally I'd love to use something like 20w50, which is the thickest grade thus keeping the metal on metal of the moving parts to a real minimum, however that is an unlikely weight for an xj.

I am curious what you all think. Would a 20w in the summer be viable? Might get me less mpg because it's flow is slower, but would the love it would give to my gears and other moving parts be worth it?

I am thinking that a 10w, or maybe even a 5w would be best for MPG and summer driving.

Also I find it interesting that if you maintain your oil filters well you can run an engine 500k+ miles on the same batch of oil :: ) Something I never knew. Doesn't surprise me, lots of places would be out of business if we all ran our engines on one set of oil and just maintained/changed the filters.

Look forward to reading peoples responses.

Gnl.Weirdness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
jeeptown
1998 XJ Cherokee 

500k miles on oil. Not in my rig. Filters do not remove the corrosive acids from the combustion process. Filters only remove particulate matter. Where did you read that???
jeeptown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

of course you'd ask that after I closed the page it was on. Was a mechanic of 35+ years, has not once changed the oil, obviously has to add new oil as needed, but he was saying he has a truck with 500k+ on it with less then 10 changes, he has just been changing the oil filters.

I misspoke when I wrote that, I meant to phrase it as a question instead of a statement haha, I meant to ask, is it really something that can be done.
Unread 03-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
loosenut
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hmmm. And I panic when I go a few hundred miles over my 3000 mile change time. How does the oil keep its viscosity and lubricating ability when it's never replaced? Thats some advice I would not follow.
loosenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

tis why I posted it :: ) Quite something to hear, I don't know all that much, but when I read it I was surprised to say the least.
Unread 03-19-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

From John Deere:

no-name chart from google:

Where I live, it gets below zero in the winter and up to about 105 in the summer. I use 10W-30 year-round. I don't believe that you're going to see any significant benefit from using a 20W, but you could probably get away with it if you wanted to.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

nice info there, I agree, 20w is meant for heavier duty vehicles I am sure, or at least using your jeep in conditions in which the engine could really use that extra thickness.
Unread 03-19-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
danw77
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlighter View Post
Also I find it interesting that if you maintain your oil filters well you can run an engine 500k+ miles on the same batch of oil
did you read that here? i don't think that "article" is saying what you think it is. it's your jeep so do what you want, but i try not to let mine go over 3000 miles and never over 5000 miles before an oil change.
Unread 03-19-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I did not, it was some other car forum I found through googling RP vs. AMSOIL or 5w vs 10w. Can't remember.
Unread 03-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #10
eshew
1993 ZJ 

Yeah, I would not run oil any longer than 4k in my Jeep before changing it, and thats if the 4k miles were mostly highway. I personally ignore all the "run your oil for 10k or 25k", its like playing with a loaded gun. Why do this when changing my oil every 3k has never posed a problem for my engine in 220k
eshew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #11
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Check your owners manual. The recommendations really are wise to follow and I see no good reason to deviate from them for an engine that is in reasonable running condition.

10-30 for the standard 4.0 is common place for many climates. 5-30 for the winter in cold locations; I use that during the coldest months in Minnesota.

Change your oil. Not doing so is a fools game.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2009, 08:33 PM   #12
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am good on getting it changed, just never taken to doing it myself which there really is no excuse for other then idiocy on my part. It gets flushed and changed over to RP this weekend, and then over to AMSOIL after 3k miles. All other fluids are getting changed over to AMSOIL, as well as the oil filter, tranny filter, and air filters.

Think that will really make a world of difference in a car that has just had crap from it's 4 some odd previous owners. And yeh I know AMSOIL is extremely pricy, but I already have over 4k invested in this car and it's nothing after market so I am in this for the long haul mine as well treat her with the love she never got ;: ) and maybe spoil her a bit while I am at it.
Unread 03-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #13
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quaker State dino 10W30, every 3,000 miles. Total miles near 153,000 now, zero engine problems.
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2009, 06:26 AM   #14
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I had my grand cherokee at 400k and I just used whatever they put in it when I would take it to have the oil changed. Never ONCE had an engine issue, I think it really varies engine to engine though. Some will outlast the frame of the car, like on my grand, others won't.
Unread 03-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
Jeep Cherokee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshew View Post
Yeah, I would not run oil any longer than 4k in my Jeep before changing it, and thats if the 4k miles were mostly highway. I personally ignore all the "run your oil for 10k or 25k", its like playing with a loaded gun. Why do this when changing my oil every 3k has never posed a problem for my engine in 220k
I use amsoil and I change it every 25k and swap the filter halfway through. Been doing it for years. My old XJs motor was in perfect shape. I had to get rid of it because the body was rotting around the motor.
Jeep Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.