The Best Jeep Build Thread of all time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > The Best Jeep Build Thread of all time

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 03-13-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The Best Jeep Build Thread of all time

I always wanted to do one of these, but I already had several Cherokees in various build stages before I found this site. Then along came #5 and I decided to take some pictures from the start and keep track of things as I went, so here for your consideration is my fifth Cherokee and first build thread.

I got this 91 four door from a friend who bought a Rubicon and wanted to concentrate on it. I paid $600.

Its a 1991 with 170,000 miles. 5 speed AX15, 4.0 Liter No rust (or so I thought) with several issues:

The heater did not work
Tilt steering was all loose
Windshield is cracked
Clutch would engage then quickly leak down and move the rig
Seat belt had been cut because the button would not release the buckle
Side trim was starting to peel
Won't start on the first turn of the key
Tires are shot
Shifter knob was a rock
no sound system

First job was to fix the heater. That turned out to be easy because the problem was the connector on the control. The clips just needed to be squeezed closed a little so they maintained contact. The next job was the steering column and that just required reattachment of the retaining screws down inside the column. The threads on this forum made that job easy.

Pulled the seat belts out and replaced the cut one. Found two quarters jammed in the latch. Replaced the clutch master cylinder and solved the bleed off problem

It was about this time that my 17 year old daughter started to take an interest in this jeep. She has driven the others and stated she wanted to have use of this one but wanted it lifted before she would be seen in it. so here she sits stock height. 15 inched from the the ground to the bottom of the rocker panels

I bought a Rough Country 3" lift with rear add a leafs and it raised the jeep exactly 3 inches. I will have to add that picture later.

When I went to reattach the side trim I found out that the passenger door had been replaced and that the new door had serious rust under the trim with at least three nickle sized holes.

I decided to plug the holes and use Herculiner to cover the rust. First I cleaned all the bad bondo and loose rust down to the actual metal. Then treated it all with Ospho rust converter. Then cleaned it up, roughed it up and taped it off.

Next was two coats of Herculiner with about 2 hours between coats.

While things were still wet I pulled the masking off and I am pretty satisfied with the results. You can also see the results of the lift in these pictures.

Next I will likely add wheels and tires.

Last edited by Mighty Thor; 03-29-2010 at 11:50 PM..
Mighty Thor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
teamskiawa
1999 XJ Cherokee 

nice, are u gonna put herculiner in the doors, it looks silly when u can see the colors in the door jams.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

i hope this isnt a major problem if so i hope its cheap
teamskiawa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Bam-Bam
2000 WJ 

Good start ! I would say at least paint the inner doors black behind the Herculiner, it is the first thing that catches your eye when you look at it. I would also use black paint or Herculiner the fender flairs unless you plan on removing them and doing some trimming for bigger tires. Sound's like a nice starter jeep I wish mine was mostly rust free, good old Michigan winters and salty roads
Bam-Bam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I am gonna change the color of the door jambs. It is really noticeable in the pictures because the doors are not fully closed. These pictures were taken right after I took the latex gloves off so I didn't mess with anything while it dried.

I also expect to add flares at some point. I have bushwhacker cut outs on my 99 and I like them so I will probably do a repeat on this jeep too.

I should add that we took this jeep on a road trip last week, after the lift but no tire change and drove over 300 miles, ran over one dead skunk, got 18 miles to the gallon with highway and city driving and discovered that the low beams suck since they were not re-adjusted after the lift.
Unread 03-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a good start.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

How do you readjust the head lights/low beams
Cherokee-at-16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #7
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

Personally I wouldnt herc anything since it will just fade. It looks better though, love to see more!
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
Martinsc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin good. I agree with everyone else on herculining the inside of the door.
Martinsc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 12:19 AM   #9
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Fun with a tire changer

The tires on this rig were trashed, I have my own tire machine so I decided to swap some tires I had onto some rims I got. I decided to mount the tire machine on a little trailer so it could be used in several places. (lousy pic)

Since I had the jeep up and I had some of my old 33s around I decided to put one on and show how it fits with a 3 inch lift. So here is what it looks like with a 33 X 9.50 sitting on the ground.

Not much room front or back

Some one else on the forum asked about mounting 33 X 12.50 on factory rims so I decided to try that too.

Finally I put on the wheels I am gonna drive on for a while.

The tires that came off were 215 75R 15. The new tires are 235 75R 15. This raised the jeep to 19 1/4 in the front and 19 3/4 in the back. Later this month I will be taking another road trip with this rig and I will track the mileage with these tires. Previous trips gave me an average of 19 miles per gallon on the highway at speeds around 70 MPH up and down the hills hereabouts. To track mileage I use my GPS and compare mileage to the odometer so I think it is pretty close to accurate.
Unread 03-30-2010, 12:57 AM   #10
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Better subscribe to the best build thread of all time
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Awesome man...this is literally the best build of all time

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
FairlanePhil
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Its like the wolf shirt only about a Jeep!

Seriously though those 33s look obscene at 3"
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
XJH-007

I'm still waiting for this to become the "best jeep build thread of all time".

I don't even understand what's going on here....3 different wheels with 3 diff tires? Over a month to Rhino line the lower doors...C'mon man!

Wait until mid-summer to revive this thread.

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:10 AM   #14
TheMULE1
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i dont know.. but i think this is way better than erics thread.. since this is the best build thread of all time.. lol.
TheMULE1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 11:11 AM   #15
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

There is no way the 33's will work on a 3 inch lift without a fender trim. The 9 1/2s came off my wrangler with a 3 inch lift and they work on the YJ cause they are inside the stock flares. they will touch on the Cherokee if you try to turn while moving. The 12.50s came off my 99 with 3 inches and bushwhacker cutouts they will not work on this rig cause they will touch all kinds of stuff. I expect to step up to 31's at some point, but right now this is my highway rig and I want to see what different sizes do for driveability and mileage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.