best (brightest) offroad lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > best (brightest) offroad lights

ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSmittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-27-2004, 12:11 PM   #1
willisb

best (brightest) offroad lights

what do you guys recommend? i want the most light. a lot of people seem to go with the hella 500s but they are only 55watts, does this matter,thats no more than the headlights. how much do they really put out. i dont want to spend the $$$ on KCs. iam also looking at the procomp 130watts,but will they fit on the small space the stock xj bumper has? are they really that much brighter? i do a lot of night beach and trail riding.

willisb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2004, 12:36 PM   #2
GottaBeJeep

I am a real big fan of the IPF 968 lights. They are similar in size/shape of the Hella 500's. They are only 55W, but the output is incredible. They completely drown out my Silverstars and the Hella 550's I have. Nice bright white light compared to most others.
Unread 11-27-2004, 01:43 PM   #3
madrabbitt

best and brightest?
My friend who runs baja, has at minimum 3 Hella rallye 4000 HID, lights, the middle is a pencil beam, the outer two are eurobeam.

Of course, i think about $2100 for lights is a little more then you're willing to pay.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2004, 02:01 PM   #4
willisb

hid would be nice,but if i did that it would be my headlights. iam looking for a nice set under 180-200.
Unread 11-27-2004, 02:30 PM   #5
madrabbitt

Can you see i'm a big fan of hella 500s?

Top picture is my current jeep. I've actually taken them off, and i'm looking for a grille guard to mount the lower ones on. The bottom picture is my older jeep, it had a setup that took years to perfect.

The outer two had drivnig pattern with 85 watt lights with a slightly bluish tint. The inner two had fog pattern with amber lenses. The two sets complimented each other well off-road. I paid less then $120 for both sets, plus bulbs.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2004, 09:22 AM   #6
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

I'd say the 2g HID lights would do it, haha. My lights aren't cheap, but I'll tell ya, they put the Hella's to shame. They are the IPF 900 series, its a 130W bulb with a spot and wide beam lense. The only lights I've seen better are the Light Force Lights. They are pretty big though, but the cool thing is, you can adjust the beam, just light a Mag Light.
Unread 11-28-2004, 01:09 PM   #7
willisb

what about the procomp 130w,are they good ? the ipf 900 s look nice i might just have to go with those if its worth it. i just want the most light without going broke.
Unread 11-28-2004, 04:39 PM   #8
CODE

MS Harnett, can I ask what you paid for you lights? Is it just the two of them and they are enough? I'm looking into lighting next. First my headlights are being replaced, then the Trail Lights are going on. Just pricing things out, etc. Do you find you have enough coverage with your setup?

Many thanks!

DaveH.
CODE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2004, 04:47 PM   #9
xxxflhrci

Off-road lights?..............You can get a pair of utility lights at Tractor Supply for about 9 bucks. They have a rubber housing. Take out the bulbs and replace them with Wagner non-fluted 100 watt bulbs. They are also about 9 bucks at Tractor supply. I run the bulbs in the spotlights on one of my Harleys. They are blinding at night. BTW, they are not DOT. If you want, you can also get 150 bulbs. They are Wagner 4049.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2004, 04:55 PM   #10
ckcooper

Bright Lights

I have not used them, but I hear that the Lightforce lights are outstanding. They are also very tough and do not weigh very much due to a polycarbonate lens and housing. You can get them with up to a 9.5 inch lens and several colored covers to snap on. Try www.offroadlights.com or www.jeepline.com...

CK
ckcooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2004, 04:58 PM   #11
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

CODE, the pair was 200 bucks. I was looking at my 4X4 shop's website and it looks like they stopped selling the 900. Now they a 900SR or something, which is a less wattage bulb. They aint cheap, but they really do blow away the cheapo lights. These are deffinatly high quality. Its not the bulb, its the lense that counts. I've bought the cheaper lights, and even with 130 watt bulbs, they don't compaire.

The 900s are great for long range pencil beams as well as a wide angle flood type light. I have since added 5 walmart cheapo lights. Well at 5 they do light it up quite a bit, but thats 275 watts pionted in at about 45 degrees around the front. If I could do it over, I would either get the IPFs again, or the huge Light Force ones I was talking about before.

Enough babaling
Unread 11-28-2004, 06:14 PM   #12
98SportDrvr
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i am running procomp 130w's on my custom bumper and damn those are bright. plus i have some procomp 55w(bulb replaced with 75w) mounted to the top of the fenders near my windshield. those are also nice. once i rewire them all up when i pick up the jeep from the house wed ill take a pic or two to show you how bright everthing is. and yes i said the jeep is sitting at the house, a week or so ago i was being an idiot on a offroadin adventure with some people and flooded the engine. no its not hydrolocked. i blew out my distributor cap, rotor, distribution wiring and coil. 300 bux later its running again. its idling rough as hell till i take the tb apart and clean it and throw some seafoam to clean the gunk out.
Unread 11-30-2004, 03:18 AM   #13
willisb

i went ahead and brought a set of the black 150w kc daylighters. i found them new for 97$ shipped. seem like a good deal to me. i cant wait to try them out.
Unread 11-30-2004, 10:15 AM   #14
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

If I were you, I'd keep a spare bulb at hand. The higher the wattage, the shorter they lost. Just a heads up
Unread 11-30-2004, 12:27 PM   #15
willisb

will do. thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.