Best brand fuel pump/sending unit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Best brand fuel pump/sending unit?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
georged4
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Best brand fuel pump/sending unit?

So my fuel pump is definitely on its way out.. loud humming noise when on the gas and I have to give it a good prime for it to start after a few cranks. So I wanted to see where/what is the best pump to get. I think I should replace the sending unit as well.. or should I get a whole new tank? Thanks guys

georged4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
avbcon12

Bosch
Unread 10-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
georged4
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. Got it and installed it, works great, and quiet!
Unread 10-02-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Bosch, Bosch, Bosch when it comes to fuel pumps for the XJ.

Did I mention that Bosch is the best option? With many years of experience on the 4.0, I install nothing but Bosch on the 4.0 engines.

Do NOT install an Airtex. IMHO, they have the biggest reliability issue of any of the fuel pump mfgs. Check other threads to verify this.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #5
georged4
1989 XJ Cherokee 

yeah has been working great. only thing is now I seem to be getting worse gas mileage, I am definitely running rich. How does one tune this computer with out a obd port?
Unread 10-03-2011, 05:15 AM   #6
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by georged4 View Post
yeah has been working great. only thing is now I seem to be getting worse gas mileage, I am definitely running rich. How does one tune this computer with out a obd port?
No tuning of this computer. And no need to. Get at least three calculated gas mileage samples before coming to any conclusions. Miles driven divided by gallons consumed. That way, you'll know. Anything less is guesswork.

If you are truly running rich (verify by exhaust analysis is a good way) the map sensor and upstream oxygen sensors are in play here........
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
mountainjock
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Not to hijack this thread, but a quick question for walker- Made the mistake and installed the Airtex, it lasted 3 days. I can't find a sending unit assembly for my 88 I6. Napa has a carter pump, but I would need to enlarge the opening on the top cap that holds the pump in the unit, and the screen seems loose, like it may fall off with a good bump. Should I install the Carter pump? Somebody on this forum suggested rebuilding the pump. What would you suggest?
mountainjock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
jeepmannc
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I picked up a Bosch fuel pump, # 69302, but the pump in the tank was longer by about 1 inch, in my '89 Cherokee Laredo. Could not use it. The problem turned out to be the hose connected to the pump and that fixed it (slipped it back on and tightened the clamp). But, I wouldn't mind replacing it anyway seeing as I have over 211,000 miles on it.

Anyone have an idea of what pump I have? I have read that in this model year there is an interesting mix of part manufacturers.

TIA, Marc
jeepmannc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.