Bent Flywheel/Flexplate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Bent Flywheel/Flexplate

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-09-2005, 04:33 PM   #1
4x4cherokee6

Bent Flywheel/Flexplate

So I've been having timing problems with my 93 cherokee 4x4 auto, I replaced the engine with a 96, same wiring and manifolds from the 93. Where the transmission connects to the engine, it jumps when the car is start and when it runs. I think this is because of a bent flex plate/flywheel. Before I go spend $450 on it, do you think this is the problem of the transmission jumping?

4x4cherokee6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 05:01 PM   #2
Roodki
2004 LJ Wrangler 

My friend has a brand new flexplate with all the bolts and stuff for his 98 XJ he'd sell for like $50, if it'll work on a 96 engine.

You could take off the cover for it and look to see if all the bolts are tight. That same friend had a rattling problem from that area, and a mechanic told him his flexplate was probably cracked. He went in to look at it and found that there was a bolt on the plate that loosened itself to the point of almost falling off. With that tightened there were no more rattles.
Unread 05-09-2005, 05:17 PM   #3
Cosmonut

That flexplate is still for sale with bolts 50 bucks !!!
Green Jeep Club Member #133
Cosmonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 06:16 PM   #4
4x4cherokee6

I'm not interested in buying a new one but thanks for the offer. Well its rattling down there and the timings way off.
Unread 05-09-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
coppertop71

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Check to make sure your CPS sensor is tight.

Whats the story about the fly wheel? Is it from the 96 or the 93 and at any time was it removed? It has a dowel hole to to line up with the crank but I wonder if its possible to have it flipped and still have the tranny mount up to it.

How about the distributor where did it come from? There may be differences from a 96 ot 93. Some say the engine will run but run bad if its one tooth off. I experimented with that and took it one tooth back and forward. It would only idle and soon as I hit the throttle it would die. So maybe check the timing. The manuals dont show this procedure, but if I remember right put the #1 cyl at TDC if the rotor isnt on the #1 plug wire the remove the distributor and put the roter at the 3 oclock position then as it slides back in it will should be inline with the #1 wire on the cap. The slot on the oil pump may need to be moved to get it back in.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, 4.0 4:11 gears

'90 Cherokee XJ,W/'91 4.0L reman/ 3.5" RE lift, W/31" M/S tires, 4:11 Gears W/Speedo gear change/ Aluminum Coolant Tank
A/C Conversion/Home Built Roof Rack/K&N Box Filter
Derale 15" Rigid Radiator Fan PT# DER-17415, through Summit W/2"X5/8X5/8"" spacer

Jeep Pic's
coppertop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2005, 07:48 PM   #6
4x4cherokee6

All the timing is perfect as its going to get, I've had about 3 mechanics over to look at that. Everything on the car is from the 93 except for the block.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.