Belt squeal and other joys - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Belt squeal and other joys

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
whitetrash
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Belt squeal and other joys

I've been having a whole cocktail of problems recently, and I suspect they might be tied to the same issue... I'm just not sure what that issue is.

The first thing to pop up was a squealing sound, like a belt. It's generally worse at lower RPMs. Sometimes it's directly linked to the heater fan (starts and stops as I switch the blower on and off), and sometimes it's totally independent. Usually it gets worse as I push down on the accelerator, but it's still there during idle. Sometimes it'll stop suddenly when I get into 3rd gear. It's intermittent, and pretty unpredictable. I've only noticed it since it started getting cold here, and sometimes it seems better on warmer days. I haven't noticed any smoke or burning smells.

The second thing is that the Check Gauges light often comes on right after I start it up, and the battery meter (which is usually right in the middle) drops to zero. This problem is also intermittent, and there's nothing in between. Either the gauge is perfect, or zero. It might happen less in warmer weather, but it hasn't been warm enough for me to notice a trend. It's been starting and running perfectly, regardless of the battery gauge.

The third thing only happened one day. I was driving on a long trip (Pittsburgh to Boston) and several times, at highway speeds (60-70mph), I lost all of my power. One time it stalled, the other two times the engine kept running, but stomping on the gas did nothing. I coasted to the side of the road, and then it was fine. It started right back up perfectly, or (when it hadn't stalled) I just shifted down to a low gear, and then I as able to accelerate again and get back on the road. Really weird.

Any ideas? Sorry for the really long write up. Thanks!

whitetrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

All the symptoms are related to low voltage.

Make the fan belt has the proper tension. If the fan belt shows much wear, replace it.

Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Have the battery and the alternator Load Tested for proper functions.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery , belt noise , blower , gauges

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.