Belt squeal after some light offroading - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Belt squeal after some light offroading

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-18-2013, 04:41 AM   #1
98jpchero
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Belt squeal after some light offroading

Hello, I have a 99' xj with the 4.0l which i just brought earlier this week. Went to test out the 4wd in some mud/water and ever since i've had a nasty belt squeal. Seems to only do it when the a/c clutch kicks on. I pulled the relay and it stops. Would that harm anything running with the relay out? Would some water have ruined the bearing on the a/c clutch? It also squeals sometimes when i take off from a stop light or on start up even with the relay out, but not nearly as bad. Any ideas/help would be help me out. I know a fair amount about cars, but i'm no mechanic. Thanks!

98jpchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked and/or tightened the belt?

The belt on a Jeep 4.0 has to be very tight. Much tighter than just about any other vehicle I've ever had. Squealing belt after water (especially muddy water) is pretty indicative of a not quite tight or worn belt.
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
98jpchero
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! Ill snug up the belt a bit and see what happens.
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
98jpchero
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Update, I snugged up the belt and inspected it and it looks good. Ended up being the a/c clutch. Ill just keep the relay out until the summer time. Wont need the a/c anytime soon here in northern illinois.
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98jpchero View Post
Wont need the a/c anytime soon here in northern illinois.
Except to defrost the winders.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.