Bearing in rear end gone - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Bearing in rear end gone

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Bearing in rear end gone

Ok here we go. Today my rear end started grinding as I was getting close to work. When I got to a parking lot to park it. I see that the rear pumpkin is leaking and smoking. I had been doing 75 most of the way. Shhh. Dont tell 50. It has been "creaking" for a long time so I knew it would go sometime. I searched a bit here in my phone and find a lot off swap out treads. But thats not really what I want to do. It a stock 89 Cherokee with a 4.0 motor and auto transmission. I just want to replace the bearings and get it back on the road. I am assuming that it is just bearings from the way it sounds and what i have read here. I am looking for a write up with pictures to walk me through it. I am guessing there are 5 bearings total. I think I should replace them all while I have it apart.
Any thoughts.
Thanks

ad-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Replacing all the bearings is not plug and play, you need some technical skills, and special tools, to make sure all the tolerances are correct.

A cheaper fix is buy a good used axle with the correct gear ratio. Inspect inside the differential before you buy. An axle swap can be done in a few hours with simple hand tools.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I second that emotion.
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Replacing all the bearings is not plug and play, you need some technical skills, and special tools, to make sure all the tolerances are correct.

A cheaper fix is buy a good used axle with the correct gear ratio. Inspect inside the differential before you buy. An axle swap can be done in a few hours with simple hand tools.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Really
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Come on guys. Its a jeep, we're Americans. I can rebuild a engine in my garage but I can't replace a few bearings?? Hmm
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
clgielin
2003 WJ 

There are 4 bearings in your rear differential. Search Pirate, there are a few write-ups there. If you have a D35, Spicer has a free manual you can download. Good luck.

2003 WJ 4.7L
Build Thread Here: 2003 WJ
Michigan Tech Jeepers #4
Utah JeepCrew #16
clgielin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The question is can you ? The Factory Service Manual has complete instructions, and you can find instructions on the InterWebz, if you search. When someone asks how to perform a moderately difficult to difficult service procedure, they usually do not have the tools and skills needed for the task.

YMMV.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #9
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Chances are that you have a Dana 35.... Which is a crap axle. You can get a differential bearing/seal kit for $120 to try and rebuild an axle that "started grinding" and "leaking and smoking" and hope that all it needs is new bearings...... Or I can go to the local Pull a Part and get a 29 spline 8.25 for $110 and be done with it.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I pulled the cover and it s 44. Driveline shop wants 900 for a complete rebuild and 600 for bearings only. Plus its 2 weeks out before they can get to it. Not sure if I want to chance a junkyard axle. Would hate to have this problem again in 6 months. The only part that worries me is the pinion gear. I pulled the front axle apart a few months ago for seals. That wasn't to bad. Found a real good write up on that one. Guess I will keep looking around
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
Pats94
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad-man View Post
Come on guys. Its a jeep, we're Americans. I can rebuild a engine in my garage but I can't replace a few bearings?? Hmm
New bearings will change the contact patch on the gear set. You don't just slap some bearings in. They need to be pretty exact. I could swap in an axle quicker than someone trying to figure out the settings and have done it cheaper.
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well I stopped at the JY today to see what they had and how much it costs. $190 for the whole thing, side to side. Then I stopped at the driveline shop and begged them to get me in sooner than 2 weeks. So it goes in Tuesday for the rebuild. I told them to just to all the bearings and seals. I didn't see anything on the gears that would make me think they are shot. Its not like this has been worked hard (off road). But I am sure they will tell me if there is any chance that they need to be replaced. So I put it back together and got it out of the driveway so I can mess with the wrangler this weekend instead.
Unread 05-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

So the driveline shop told me the carrier bearing spun in the housing. So its shot. They say they found a "donor" housing/rearend for $650 Said that they would put it on then check it out, fill it with oil and charge me $1050 for that.
So now I told them to bolt it back up, I owe them $80 for the diagnoses. Now I guess i am back to the junkyard swap out.
I marked the tire and drive shaft and think I have a 3.55 dana 44. So all I need to do is find that ratio at the junkyard. Put my stethoscope on it to hear if it grinds??? Checked the dana site a few days ago and is I remember right they only had 3.05 , 3.55, 4.10 rearend ratios that year. Do you all think that by spinning the drive shaft and think counting the revolution I will be correct at the yard to safely pull the proper one?
Also, does anyone have a swapout thread they would recommend for this . Searching for "rearend axle swap" gives me a lot of stuff to search through.
Thanks
Unread 05-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any 4.0 L Cherokee with an automatic will be 3.55 gears. I suggest you look for 1997-01 29 spline Chry 8.25. Pull the cover to inspect the condition, count the ring teeth and pinion teeth, and then do the math.

Unbolt the old axle and bolt on the new one.

Unread 05-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

You may be able to sell the 'rebuildable' D44 to reclaim some of your suffering.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.