Battery won't hold charge?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Battery won't hold charge??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 04-21-2007, 06:59 PM   #1
jirvin8

Battery won't hold charge??

I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee, and when I bought it the battery was dead, but I could jump it off but the battery would not hold a charge, so I just went out and bought a new battery about a week ago. After I put it in, the car cranked right up with no problems, 14.4 voltage reading, everything checked out good. Well I don't have insurance on it yet so I haven't been driving it yet. I went out to crank it up last night, and the battery was totally dead, no underhood light, no nothing. I hooked it up to the jumper cables and it cranked right up. I took it for a quick spin around the neighborhood, turned it off, then cranked it up again. Everything seemed fine. I go out to start it the next morning, and the battery's dead again. I made sure that there was nothing left on the night before.

What do ya'll think the problem is. I haven't checked the wires yet, but is there anything else that could be draining the battery?

jirvin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Jeff in PA
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Two ways to deal with that.

1) "mickey mouse" it with a battery disconnect that you unhook every time you shut it off.

2) Find the draining "short".

Fully charge the battery and get a test light.
http://mypage.direct.ca/k/kdomries/testlight.html

This will allow you to figure out which circuit is still "hot" / draining power with the key off.

Good luck, I hate trouble shooting electrical problems.
Jeff in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
rstarch345

Quote:
Originally Posted by jirvin8
I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee, and when I bought it the battery was dead, but I could jump it off but the battery would not hold a charge, so I just went out and bought a new battery about a week ago. After I put it in, the car cranked right up with no problems, 14.4 voltage reading, everything checked out good. Well I don't have insurance on it yet so I haven't been driving it yet. I went out to crank it up last night, and the battery was totally dead, no underhood light, no nothing. I hooked it up to the jumper cables and it cranked right up. I took it for a quick spin around the neighborhood, turned it off, then cranked it up again. Everything seemed fine. I go out to start it the next morning, and the battery's dead again. I made sure that there was nothing left on the night before.

What do ya'll think the problem is. I haven't checked the wires yet, but is there anything else that could be draining the battery?
You've got one of the tough ones to track down. You have a high resistance short. It could be a corroded wire, bad insulation, etc. The computer and radio usually draw a small amount of current for memory retention, so that's a given.

What you are going to need is VOM, either analog or digital, that can measure DC current. The best way I know of to track the general area of problem down is;

Go to fuse panel and starting in one corner, remove a fuse. With the VOM in DC current (highest setting) put one lead on one fuse post and the other lead on the other. If the VOM pegs left or shows negative, then switch the leads. That will indicate a current draw and could be the problem circuit. Mark it, put the fuse back in and move to the next. If the meter read zero, then the circuit is OK.

Once you find the problem circuit, then it will be a tedious job of tracking all wires until you find the problem area.

Once place you can visually check is the large connector at the firewall. All of the wire go into the firewall from there. That connector has been the source of many headaches.
rstarch345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
QwkTrip

Also, you have spent money on a brand new battery and deep cycled is at least two times now. Not good for the battery and could take 50% life off of it. It takes about 8 hours to recharge the battery to 100% state of charge. Either drive the car for a long time or disconnect the battery and slow charge it overnight.
QwkTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
rstarch345

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Also, you have spent money on a brand new battery and deep cycled is at least two times now. Not good for the battery and could take 50% life off of it. It takes about 8 hours to recharge the battery to 100% state of charge. Either drive the car for a long time or disconnect the battery and slow charge it overnight.
Excellent point. The battery may already be ruined from holding a good charge.
rstarch345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2007, 09:47 PM   #6
jirvin8

Yeah that's what I figured. That suck's lol. I noticed that their is a lot of corrosion around my positive battery terminal, could that be the problem?
Unread 04-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #7
XJING

Quote:
Originally Posted by jirvin8
Yeah that's what I figured. That suck's lol. I noticed that their is a lot of corrosion around my positive battery terminal, could that be the problem?
How do you have corosion on a new battery? you never cleaned the terminals when you replaced it? Yeah that could be the source of your problem..... At least one of them......
Unread 04-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #8
jirvin8

There is corrosion where the positive cable goes into the end of the cable not on the actual battery terminal.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.