Battery keeps dying in '88 jeep cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Battery keeps dying in '88 jeep cherokee

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
CoryTunnell

Battery keeps dying in '88 jeep cherokee

If anybody knows anything about jeeps with electrical issues, I could use their help. No lights or anything are left on. It keeps dying after I jump it and let it run, it'll run fine but if I let it sit when it's off then the battery is completely dead. I have a brand new battery and just put in a new alternator... Any ideas would help!

CoryTunnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
xjwags8789

There has to be something drawing current while its shut off.. not sure if this is the proper way to do it but here's what I would do. With a voltmeter or test light test for voltage in your fuse panel and see if you get anything. I don't think anything should be receiving power at the fuse box while its off.

xjwags
xjwags8789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 03:42 AM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Search the internet for "troubleshooting parasitic drain".

Here is one basic link, but I'm sure you can find some others.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2249402_find...ery-drain.html
tjwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
88Cherokee904
1988 XJ Cherokee 

on my 88 there are 3 places that get constant power when the truck is off, they vary with power as well but arent meant to have fuses except on high end models (pwr locks etc). use a test light and see if there are any useless fuses in there. people try to solve other electrical problems by sticking in more fuses and hoping but it often causes this problem.
try leads into doors if you have power windows or locks. if you have a 4spd like i do my slave cylinder leaks just enough not to notice but it dripps onto fusebox, see if your fusebox is dry and not getting hot to the touch.
88Cherokee904 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery , cherokee , dying , jeep , won't start

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.