battery draining overnight - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > battery draining overnight

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 03-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
martyn812
1996 XJ Cherokee 

battery draining overnight due to power locks

hi guys
went to start the car sunday morning andthe battery was drained no volts at all so i put in new batteryand the next day it was dead again i tried the parsitec drain testing and found a 40amp fuse that works the central locking and seats whitch is the problem.
with said fuse in a clicking on and off noise can be heard under dash. when an amp meter is connected it shows a drain of 4 amps on and off all the time but when said fuse is removed the clicking stops and the battery stays charged this fuse is located in the fuse box next to the battery under the hood.
i tried removing the 2 relays under the dash that operate the locks but battery still drains also removed the fuse under the dash for the locks but no differance. could it be the control module under the dash is so how do i remove it or should i unplug and see if battery stays charged.

Last edited by martyn812; 03-04-2010 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: punctuation
martyn812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
3xratedxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have you had your alternator tested? I had a somewhat similar problem and turned out to be a diode went bad in the alt. and whenever I shut my jeep off it would eat my battery.
Unread 03-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
martyn812
1996 XJ Cherokee 

thanks have had alernator and battery tested its got to be a drain would like to know whate the under hood fuses are for book is crap wrong boxes shown mine has relays the small fuses then large fuses
Unread 03-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
martyn812
1996 XJ Cherokee 

someone must know about fuses and electrics on these
Unread 03-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
martyn812
1996 XJ Cherokee 

left overnight with fuse out and battery stayed charged re fitted fuse clocking starts removed both door relays still clicking note this fuse also works power seats but they work fine could it be the module itsel if so where is so i can pull plug and see if power drain stops
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I think if you spent a smidge more time on punctuation and spelling that you may get more responses. Just a thought.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #7
martyn812
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sorry about that have edited first post to try and make some sense

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.