2Likes
  • 1 Post By cgraefe
  • 1 Post By CJ7-Tim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-14-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
lazaro99

Garage
Xj battery drained now wont idle

i have a 96 xj and the person who i bought it from put a munual ac compressor switch i left it on, on accident and it drained my battery. its not the first time its happened. when i jump the battery i turns on bot i have to feather the gas pedal to keep it from cutting off, previous time there was a quarter tank, so i used the two foot method to get it too the Gas station too fill the tank. so thats what i did, but for some reason it didint fix its self like it did the prior time. need help its my daily.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-14-2017, 01:25 PM
cgraefe

I have that issue every time my battery is about to go out, or if I drain it down too low.

What I've come to figure out, it's due too the Idle Control Valve on the side of the Throttle Body. If it doesn't get a good 12vdc, it won't open up enough to hold the idle. By pressing the gas Pedal, you are bypassing the Valve and allowing the engine to keep running, but as soon as you left off of the Has Pedal, it shuts off due too lack of air.

So either recharging the battery, or possibly replacing the battery should solve your issue.
lazaro99 likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-14-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
lazaro99

Garage
i just bought a brand new battery a week or so ago cause my last one the cell died

post #4 of 5 Old 07-14-2017, 04:51 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazaro99 View Post
..... have to feather the gas pedal to keep it from cutting off.
What you describe happens when there is low battery voltage. A bad battery, bad alternator, or just letting the battery drain can cause the symptoms described. Usually a short drive will restore the idle.

For 1996+ Jeeps, the OBD-II engine computer (ECU/PCM) re-boots, and the idle settings are deleted, when you: (1) let the battery run down by leaving the lights or radio on, (2) disconnect the battery for an extended period of time, (3) when the battery goes bad and needs replacing, (4) when the alternator is not properly charging the battery, (5) or when poor battery connections result in a voltage drop at the PCM or poor battery charging. Loose, corroded, or damaged battery cables or ground wires may also cause or contribute to the problem.

A faulty Coolant Temperature Sensor may also cause similar symptoms. Testing of the CTS is recommended as part of the diagnostics. A poor ground at the ignition coil can also cause similar symptoms.

The reboot symptoms are: (1) having difficulties starting the engine without depressing the gas pedal, and (2) the engine will have a low idle and probably stall unless you keep your foot on the gas pedal. (3) The ECU will relearn the idle settings after a short period of driving and the engine will often start and idle normally. 

Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Copper wires should be copper color, not black or green. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, the PCM, the ground wires at the coil, and the ground wires at the oil dipstick tube. You must remove, wire brush, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds. 

If the symptoms reoccur, you need to have your battery and/or the alternator Load Tested at a repair shop or auto parts store. This is usually a free service they offer to bring in potential customers. Handheld testers are very inaccurate and will usually pass marginal alternators. Even with low battery voltage, the engine will start, but the ECU can re-boot multiple times and a new battery may be required.

Cleaning the Idle Air Controller (IAC), regular tune-ups, and using fuel injector cleaner should be part of your routine preventative maintenance for smooth starts.
lazaro99 likes this.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-14-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
lazaro99

Garage
tahnk you everyone for your help i took disconnected the battery for about an hour than went too turn it on started up fine i let it idle for about 30 minutes and i took for a drive i used the two foot method just in case it tried too stall out, i brought it up too highway speed(id recomend a back road) now it idles fine. thank you again fellas for all of your help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.