Battery Drain 96' XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Battery Drain 96' XJ

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
repquiroz
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Battery Drain 96' XJ

I bought the jeep about 6 months ago.. 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport..
The battery dies overnight.. Im pretty sure there is a battery drain.

MONDAY--I talked to my mechanic over the phone, he said that i should fully charge the battery, hook it up, turn on the car, remove negative battery cable while car is running and if it doesnt shut off than its not the alternator.. He told me to get new battery...

TUESDAY--I got new battery. Brand new... hooked it up.. of course it turned on.. next morning i noticed that the battery was a little iffy (all the lights were dim, and the car barely turned on...)

WEDNESDAY-- Morning after that the battery is dead again... I check all the fuses (i looked at them and replace one...)

What do you think it is?, Please help...
If you think is a battery drain, how can i stop the drain??
I dont really want to take it to the shop if i can do it my self...

repquiroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
Angry_bald_guy
1985 J-Series Truck 

You will have to hunt down the circuit that is draining the battery. Start checking voltage with a multi meter, once you find a wire with voltage on it and everything is off, you may have found your drain. BUT, make sure that the wire you have voltage on is not supposed to have voltage on it... For instance, if your hood is up, and you are detecting voltage on the circuit for the hood light... use some common sense...

[B]A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of the free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.[/B]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f271/matilda-928184/"][B]My Former Jeep[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/build-up-jeanine-993071/"][B]My Current Jeep[/B][/URL]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B]JFI Member #13[/B][/COLOR]
[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/dont-dishonest-seller-860174/"]Report a scam on JeepForum.[/URL][/B]
Angry_bald_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
scout80xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by repquiroz View Post
I bought the jeep about 6 months ago.. 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport..
The battery dies overnight.. Im pretty sure there is a battery drain.

MONDAY--I talked to my mechanic over the phone, he said that i should fully charge the battery, hook it up, turn on the car, remove negative battery cable while car is running and if it doesnt shut off than its not the alternator.. He told me to get new battery...

TUESDAY--I got new battery. Brand new... hooked it up.. of course it turned on.. next morning i noticed that the battery was a little iffy (all the lights were dim, and the car barely turned on...)

WEDNESDAY-- Morning after that the battery is dead again... I check all the fuses (i looked at them and replace one...)

What do you think it is?, Please help...
If you think is a battery drain, how can i stop the drain??
I dont really want to take it to the shop if i can do it my self...
First off DO NOT disconnect the battery with the engine running. Doing so could cause high voltage spikes which could fry your alternator and damage other electronics. To check parasitic drain you need an ammeter (most good multimeters have ability to read amps). And to check alternator you need to have an inductive amp probe or you could take the alternator off and bench test it (most auto parts stores will do this)
scout80xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
customizer1000
1995 XJ Cherokee 

un hook your neg cable put a test light from the neg to ground and start pulling fuses whichever one makes the light go out is the circut that has the draw on it good luck
customizer1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.