Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bastard pack faqs....

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  HeepToJeep 
#1 ·
Is there one already? If not can we make one since that seems to be a common question such as how many leafs? from what vehicles? what coils? How much lift will I get from such and such?

Cause i know i was curious if there were any vehicles stock coils that will net around 4-5" as a possibility to rather than just throw a coil spacer in...

#4 ·
There isn't a single answer for you, unfortunately. The results you get from making bastard packs will likely be different from another person's experience. This is due to the initial condition of your original packs and the donors. The best you can do is try it out. You can get an idea by polling some folks who have done it, but make sure they include a reasonable assessment of the leaf pack conditions prior to starting. My buddy just did some S10 bastards on his XJ. The XJ pack was severely sagging. He added only the S10 main (with eyes cut off) and got back about 2". I just picked up a set of S10 leafs for mine, but haven't had the time or favorable weather to do it yet.

#5 ·
There isn't a single answer for you, unfortunately. The results you get from making bastard packs will likely be different from another person's experience. This is due to the initial condition of your original packs and the donors. .
thats true but im sure on average like some people who do an s10 aal say they get about 1.5" with it obviously based on the condition of the leaf and the cond if theyre leafs some will get less and some more...

#8 ·
Ha, ha, maybe not the king but I've done a couple.

The rear height will depend on the leafs used. I have used 2wd packs so far from a S10 pick up and a S10 blazer. The biggest differnce between the two is the placement and quantity of the leaf retainer clamps on the packs (piece that wraps around the packs to keep them from shifting).

I have used the following combo for around 4-4.5" of lift and a decently firm ride:
XJ main
S10 main
Second S10 leaf
Third XJ leaf
XJ overload.

I will be playing around with just using the S10 main for better ride quality and lower lift. Same combo excpet only the S10 main and probably the Second XJ leaf under the S10 main. I expect to get around 2" of lift. I want to drop mine to about 3-4" using those packs and some extended shakles.

For the front, you can use ZJ springs from a V8 and get anywhere from .5-1" of lift depending on the condition of the coils. They will ride only a hair firmer than teh XJ coils. You can also run F150 coils for closer to 2-2.5" of lift, but they will ride quite firm. A guy on NAXJA used a set of Ford T-bird coils and strut mount tops to get around 3" of lift and he says the ride is nice. That's a bit more work though.

IMO to get a 3" lift with reasonable ride quality, bastard pack the rear and get some aftermarket coils for the front. Couple, if not all, makers will sell you just the coils from around $100-150 on the cheap side.

I shoudl mention that ride quality translates to how firm the ride feels, but also how well the springs compress and flex offroad.

#9 ·
A common question such as how many leafs?
That depends on how much lift you want, to get the lift you want you add some leafs then set the truck down and measure how much you gained...then add or subtract leafs accordingly.

From what vehicles?
S10, S15, Sonoma, Jimmy, Blazer, Dakota

what coils?
The only coils that give lift and keep the 'close to factory' quality ride are from Grand Cherokees and average 1-1.5in lift, if ride isn't a concern coils from a Bronco or F150 can be used to gain almost 3in (really stiff ride)

How much lift will I get from such and such?
Bastard packs using the full GM leaf pack easily gains 5in. Coils are noted above.

Cause i know i was curious if there were any vehicles stock coils that will net around 4-5" as a possibility to rather than just throw a coil spacer in...
I've researched this extensively and have found that very few coils will even fit in the XJ and those that do and give the most lift are pretty firm..BUT with a lift goal of 4-5in ride quality wouldn't be the best anyways. There may be other coils that fit but I've contacted spring manufacturers and suppliers with spring specs matching those of aftermarket lift coils and they have all come back saying they don't list any OEM coils with the same specifications (or similar).

Wm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.