Basic Repair - Transmission mount replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Basic Repair - Transmission mount replacement

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 06-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Basic Repair - Transmission mount replacement

This is a "how-to" for a really simple repair. A '98 XJ 4.0L/automatic/NP231 came in the shop with a clunking noise in the driveline. The transmission mount was extremely collapsed & the exhaust system mount bracket (located between the transmission mount & transfer case) was hitting the crossmember.

Here's how close it was at rest, and some pics of the general condition of the mount.

I used a floor jack & a block of wood to support the case while replacing the mount.

A 13MM socket was used to remove the 4 nuts that attach the transmission mount to the crossmember.

The crossmember is attached with a 15MM nut & bolt on each side.

An 18MM head bolt is located on the left & right side of the mount, attaching it to the transfer case.

Here you can see the exhaust mounting plate that is sandwiched between the mount & the transfer case.

Replace the mount with the new one & tighten the 18MM head bolts.

Reinstall the crossmember onto the mount using the four 13MM nuts at the center, and the 15MM nut & bolt on each end of the crossmember.
I used anti-seize on the 15MM crossmember nuts & bolts.

Here you can see the extra clearance gained by istalling a new mount, and best of all there is no more clunking!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

At least that one was still one piece, mine came out in pieces.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Funny you should mention that. The idea of the mount being the problem was almost dismissed because it wasn't broken. When giving it a closer inspection I noticed the lack of clearance at the exhaust mount. Once the mount was replaced it was clear that the problem was indeed caused by the mount.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Mine was dry rotted and the rubber fell out all over the place when I took it out. Bad thing was that I had looked it over a few times and it looked fine before I removed it. I also pushed the t-case around and it seemed sturdy so I had ruled it out as being the problem. Then once it had somewhere to go when removing it, it fell to pieces. I kicked myself for driving it around for months making awful noises and overlooking the problem. Now it is quiet back there and feels a lot smoother.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
96upcountry
1996 XJ Cherokee 

reviving old thread

Thanks for the write-up. i've been suspecting mine for awhile and today it just
started some clunking just as I got home. I got under it and noticed when I pushed around on the rear drive shaft the TC would move up and down. It also clicks a little where it goes in the TC. Time to grease that too. maybe that could be my NP242 shifting issue too.
I vote this be made a sticky
[QUOTE=cruiser54;11297546]Looking at grounds doesn't count. You MUST remove, scrape, polish, clean and then reattach. Otherwise you're wasting your time. Unless of course, you have the ability to see electricity flow.............[/QUOTE]
96upcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
DeltaSigCJ5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I think I'm having the same problem. There is very little space between my exhaust mount and the cross member. If you get a chance Max, could you look at the pic of mine. I just started a threat labeled "Where to start..."

I'd appreciate it.

Also, Any problems with going solid mount over the rubber?

Ryan
Unread 10-03-2011, 01:42 PM   #7
Rockdaddy
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Does only one know what size/thread the bolts are used to mount the mount to the transmission? Mine are missing.
Rockdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:01 AM   #8
Roler

and does anyone know the torque of these 18 mm head bolts that go up into trans?
Roler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roler View Post
and does anyone know the torque of these 18 mm head bolts that go up into trans?
60-81 N-m (44 ft-lbs.)
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Caveats (some of these may have been covered):
- Using LocTite #242 on the mount screws into the case should be considered mandatory
-
As should the use of new nuts on the studs into the crossmember (threaded M8-1.25. I use CRES nuts with Nylon locking collars, so they don't vibrate loose. Easier than dealing with LocTite, in this position.)
- If one mount is shot, replace all three (both engine mounts.) Why? The old mounts will cause accelerated wear on the new one, and wear it out rather quickly.
- While replacing engine mounts, check the screws holding down the engine-side brackets. Use your thinnest feeler gage and try to slide it under the head of the screw. If it goes, remove the screw and put one or two flat washers under the head, then reinstall the screw. Use LocTite #242 - torque specs are on my site in the Tech section (www.kelleyswip.com/tech.html, should be.)
- When jacking up the engine, use a "spreader" between the jack foot and the oil sump. I usually use a section of 2"x6" lumber, about 10" long. It is possible to put your jack foot through the oil sump - which would suck

All three mounts may be replaced with hand tools and a floor jack and a little time - replace them one at a time.
Unread 03-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
danmc818

I had an exhaust rattling sound during idle under the floorboards for years. I also had a terrible vibrating / grinding sound during hard acceleration. A few weeks ago I had a new transmission installed after a theft recovery so I knew it wasn't a bad tranny. Last weekend I decided to replace the transmission mount and both engine mounts hoping this would solve the problems. (Would have been nice if the shop recommended changing the $29 tranny mount while they already had it all pulled out.) Sure enough the exhaust rattle at idle is gone and the vibration under hard acceleration disappeared. Feels like a brand new Jeep.

The old transmission mount was covered in gunk and shrunk considerably. The engine mounts didn't look bad but had a little dry rot. I found another write up on replacing the motor mounts that was great (http://www.cherokeeforum.com/article...eplacement-11/). Thanks to this write up I saved hundreds on labor at the dealership and only spent $73 at Napa Auto Parts for the 3 mounts. The whole job took only a few hours and I didn't hit any snags. I can't believe how much smoother my '00 XJ Sport runs.
danmc818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
travisk

Mine was replaced this weekend. Here's the height difference between a sagging transmission mount and a new one.

travisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #13
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

good lord. I need to do mine...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #14
Shinigami88
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Bumping an old thread but I'm doing mine tomorrow morning. Exhaust rattles like crazy on the cross member and in a week or two I'll change the motor mounts.
Shinigami88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #15
dgood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You will need an 18 mm 13 mm and a 15 mm. The reason I say this is because not many people have an 18. As long as nothing is rusted all 3 moons will take u about 2 hours to do it self.
dgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.