Balljoints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Balljoints

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #1
Modstock
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Balljoints

Does my 99 come with adjustable balljoints. I seem to have a camber problem. My front tires are wearing on the outside. Running stock wheels with 31's .
Im also wondering if its the LCA's I have with this 3"rc lift and the castor is the casue of this wear.
My BFG at's have about 22,000 miles on em' and they seem to be wearing fast . Rears are fine and seem to be wearing like normal .

Modstock is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

How often do you rotate your tires? Because it sounds like you never did and it's why your tires are eating away..

Ball joints are not adjustable. Unless adjustable ones were installed.

Do a search on how to do a driveway alignment.
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Have you put the jeep on an alignment rack to see what measurements are actually off?
Unread 11-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modstock View Post
Does my 99 come with adjustable balljoints. I seem to have a camber problem. My front tires are wearing on the outside. Running stock wheels with 31's .
Im also wondering if its the LCA's I have with this 3"rc lift and the castor is the casue of this wear.
My BFG at's have about 22,000 miles on em' and they seem to be wearing fast . Rears are fine and seem to be wearing like normal .
Caster *shouldn't* cause wear. Do you KNOW what your alignment settings are??
A 3" lift technically needs a LCA that is .25" longer, but many kits are sold w/o new arms.
How many miles are you expecting to get from these tires, and Have You Been Rotating Them??
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like your LCAs may be a little too long.
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Longer or shorter LCA's? Conflicting info here.
Muddblood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

What LCAs do you have, stock or RC?
Unread 11-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
What LCAs do you have, stock or RC?
Me personally, my lift kit came with new LCA's. Not sure about Modstock's. Oh wait...I misread/misunderstood the 2 comments. Sooo...ummmm....nevermind.

But anyway, I don't see a castor problem causing tire wear on the outside of the tires. Being as this is a solid axle, if it were way out, the wear, if any, would be diagonally across the tires I would think. They DO make camber correcting ball joints for the XJ, but you need to see 1) IF the camber IS out and 2) how far, and I guess 3) if it is positive or negative. Seeing as the tire wear is on the OUTSIDE, I'd say it is positive camber. Do LCA's affect camber at all?

I am really interested in this thread because I JUST did a lift and brand new tires and I am concerned that MY tires will start wearing uneven. Guess I hijacked this thread...sorry Modstock.
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

LCA's do not affect camber.

If the wear is on the outside of the tires, it would be positive camber.

Im guessing his issue is going to end up being a toe adjustment, not camber. Camber would have to be out a lot for the tires to wear that fast. But if the toe adjustment is out enough, it will cause a "scrubbing" wear on the outside of the tires which may look like camber wear to the untrained eye. The first thing that needs to be done is the jeep needs to go up on alignment rack to be checked and adjusted. Modifying the suspension height of any vehicle will throw the alignment off, therefor it needs to be adjusted. The sooner the better.
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoteen101 View Post
LCA's do not affect camber.

If the wear is on the outside of the tires, it would be positive camber.

Im guessing his issue is going to end up being a toe adjustment, not camber. Camber would have to be out a lot for the tires to wear that fast. But if the toe adjustment is out enough, it will cause a "scrubbing" wear on the outside of the tires which may look like camber wear to the untrained eye. The first thing that needs to be done is the jeep needs to go up on alignment rack to be checked and adjusted. Modifying the suspension height of any vehicle will throw the alignment off, therefor it needs to be adjusted. The sooner the better.
I agree. My steering wheel is 90 degrees off since my lift, indicating an alignment issue. Gonna research the driveway alignment (although I have a pretty good idea of how to do it anyway)...just need to wait for warmer temps and less snow on the ground (like 0).
Unread 11-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddblood View Post
I agree. My steering wheel is 90 degrees off since my lift, indicating a drag link adjustment is needed.
fify
Unread 11-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
Muddblood
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
fify
Drag link adjustment??
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddblood View Post
Drag link adjustment??

Unlock the steering wheel and straighten the tires.
Loosen the two bolts (15mm?) on the drag link adjuster sleeve just to the right of the drag link arrow in the pic.
Rotate the sleeve until the steering wheel is centered then retighten the bolts. Use lots of PB blaster on the threads.
Test drive and repeat if needed for fine tuning.
Don't disconnect the drag link and freespin the steering wheel tho, cause that would jackup the clockspring.
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
longtro
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

internet Win!!
longtro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 04:22 AM   #15
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Drag link adjustment will fix the steering wheel only. If the toe is off, the tires are still gonna wear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.