Ball joints and alignment??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Ball joints and alignment???

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 04-08-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
Littleg182

Ball joints and alignment???

So i went to get my alignment done and the guy tells me he cant do the alignent until i get new ball joints. Plus my camber and caster is all messed up so i need adjustable ball joints to straighten out my tires. The guy wants
$70.00 alignment
$245.00 for the ball joints
$12.00 misc shop parts
$160.00 for labor of puting in the ball joints
_______
$500+!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would it be better to let them do it or should i just buy the ball joints myself. Im not sure if i want to do all that work. Plus i dont know what degree ball joints to get or anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

Littleg182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2005, 06:06 PM   #2
Blue XJ
1988 MJ Comanche 

That sounds about right, took me about 3 hours to repalce all 4 balljoints, $50 each and then and alignment.

How much lift do you have that you need adjustable balljoints? There should be no reason the camber will be off once you replace themm, the camber is fixed on XJ's, prolly just out due to the worn balljoints.
Blue Jeep Club Member #72
| 4.6L Stroker | AW4 | 6.5" RK Long Arm Kit | 35" TruXus MT's | HP30, 4.56, ARB, Alloys, Lockouts | C8.25, 4.56, ARB, Alloy Shafts, Disk Brakes | Warn XD9000i | Interior Cage |
Blue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2005, 08:10 PM   #3
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Are there any special tools to get the ball joints out? I know Autozone will rent you one for free, but I thought there is a special adapter for the jeeps. I also need to replace my ball joints.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2005, 10:25 PM   #4
Littleg182

I have about 6 inches of lift on it with 33's but it was originally my dads and the front tires were already bowed in on the top a little bit, enough that you can tell when looking at it. I dont know how or why but thats how it came i guess, because my dad bought it brand new in 96. But it could possibly be just that the ball joints are shot. Theyre even getting worse, clunking around and such. Anyone else have anything to offer?
Littleg182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2005, 10:35 PM   #5
wipedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleg182
So i went to get my alignment done and the guy tells me he cant do the alignent until i get new ball joints. Plus my camber and caster is all messed up so i need adjustable ball joints to straighten out my tires. The guy wants
$70.00 alignment
$245.00 for the ball joints
$12.00 misc shop parts
$160.00 for labor of puting in the ball joints
_______
$500+!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would it be better to let them do it or should i just buy the ball joints myself. Im not sure if i want to do all that work. Plus i dont know what degree ball joints to get or anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

For a mechanic doing all 4 balljoints on your jeep, is gonna run him probably a little under 2 hours, which is correct in the labor estimate. Its not a difficult thing to do.. just time consuming and its nice to have the right tools. Alignments usually run close to that much so that is correct too. Also see if the ball joints are warrantied through the shop... i'm sure you could get them cheaper, but if they are warrantied through the shop then its worth the extra money. the 12.00 for misc shop parts is gonna be for the grease he's gonna use.

I'd say altogether its a pretty fair estimate.. and you wouldn't be getting ripped off.

6 in lift, 35" Interco Trxus MT's, long armed, Bushwacker cut-out flares, Skyjacker coils(powdercoated grey), RE 4.5 extreme duty leaf packs, Tera 1.5in shackles, AJ's Superrails, AA SYE, TW DS, Blacked out all around. and a buncha RE trackbar stuff, and the infamous ZJ tierod :)
wipedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2005, 04:30 AM   #6
cj7xjmj

What kind of suspension are you running with 6" of lift? This could be part of your alignment problem. If you are runnin adjustable arms, they mightbe able to be adjusted to fix some of your problems, but not all. The corretc tool to do ball joints will run around a 100 bucks for a decnt moderate use one. I know you can get them cheper, but that isn't always better. I know there is a company that makes adjustable ball joints, i just cant think of their name at the moment, but they give you roughly 3 or 4* of adjsutment.

Patrick
If you have to ask why... Its a truggy thing and you wouldn't understand
cj7xjmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2005, 09:41 AM   #7
toledotimber

Jegs has them for $69.99 ea. in .5-2.0 degree offsets in .5 degree increments. The brand is SPC (Specialty Products Corporation). Also, this place online http://www.mohawkrubber.com/site/pro...Product_ID=112 but no price is given. That's all I could find with a quick search.
toledotimber is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.