Ball joints - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Ball joints

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-23-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
The Shadow
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ball joints

I've been concerned about my ball joints so I did a check myself with the front jacked up. I did the grabbing at 3 and 9 also the 12 and 6 position and felt no looseness. I then laid down so's I could look at them and had my son stick a bar under the tire and lifted it up I did see some up and down play(maybe about 1/8th inch on right front 1/16th on drivers side). I tried to research this here and on youtube which made me more worried. So I took it to Tiresplus to get the front end checked (alignment) and they didn't find anything wrong.
Should I still be concerned or am I just blowing this out of proportion?

Unread 05-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Retail tires stores like Tires Plus, NTB, Discount Tire are mostly helpless and clueless, especially when dealing with 4x4's or lifted 4x4's. They often have great difficulty with getting all the lug nuts on, and then torqueing them correctly.

Find an independent tire shop, or a frame and alignment shop, and have a skilled and experienced technician perform an inspection.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
pokeyxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A good alignment shop is worth the cost. The amount of movement you saw is not that bad. Are you having issues? If not then keep an eye on things until they get worse.
pokeyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Although its a small amount of play, they are obviously getting loose. You probably still have time but just know that any play in them means that your taking life off your current tires. When the time comes to replace them go with XRF, best price and longest lasting out there. Might as well do u joints and maybe your hubs while you have it open, easy to do when your doing ball joints.

How many miles are on them now?
xGArfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
The Shadow
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ball joints

Tires are ok, no problems. Its just that I hear a popping sound when I hit bumps or when I stop. I use to think that my brakes were doing this so I replaced the calipers, rotors , and pads. Also I replaced the hub on the passenger side but it never stopped it. I've looked at the uni joints at the axles and can't find any play in them. I rarely go off road or drive aggressively. Just wondering if its safe to continue driving like this or should I be concerned. Times are tight so I'm trying to save every dime I can. Just curious were can I find these XRF joints? Also how much do they run , cost wise?
Unread 05-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
billb2011
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Check your axle u joints again with a large screwdriver or small pry bar, pry under the yoke ear up and down and side to side, if your hub is good you wont notice the joint moving when you tug on the tire. I only say this because mine was bad a while back and was making that popping noise when I came to a stop.
Unread 05-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
The Shadow
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Checking

Just checked the front end (axle) u-joints with a crowbar and a large screwdriver and could not find any play in them.
If and when I do change the ball joints, I thought about going back with original Dana Spicer ones and wondered what everyone thinks about doing that?
Unread 05-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The wheel bearing could be going bad ... They get lose when they go bad. I stopped torquing them to the proper amount and cranked down the axle nut tigheter than spec ... That allowed me to get 8 months out of the current front bearings!
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
The Shadow
1996 XJ Cherokee 

checking

I checked that too by grabbing at 9 and 3 also 12 and 6, no play. But thanks for the input.
Unread 05-27-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
billb2011
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
The wheel bearing could be going bad ... They get lose when they go bad. I stopped torquing them to the proper amount and cranked down the axle nut tigheter than spec ... That allowed me to get 8 months out of the current front bearings!

Yikes! I never thought about that when doing mine! I better go back and torque it.
Unread 05-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb2011 View Post
Yikes! I never thought about that when doing mine! I better go back and torque it.

I've learned to clean the treads off on the axle shaft when replacing bearings.

one of them I torqued to the spec (can't remember off the top of my head), did about 1/8'' more turn to get the cotter pin in and called it a day.

3 months later the axle nut was lose and the wheel bearing was bad.
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #12
The Shadow
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Gonna Change

Decided to go with replacing them with Spicer's . Will get at it as soon as the rain stops.
Unread 06-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
The Shadow
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Done

I've heard rumor that I should get it aligned. Is that true and why?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.