Ball Joint Replacement Cost? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Ball Joint Replacement Cost?

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-09-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
Sciotojeeper

Ball Joint Replacement Cost?

Any idea what I could expect a ball joint replacement to cost? How about a U-joint?

Sciotojeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #2
crumb
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you are talking about the front axle shaft U-joints... i just did mine and it cost 19 bucks per joint. I did it myself with a BFH. It isnt hard. If you get a press it doesnt take long at all to do. I was just too lazy to get a press... er too cheap. One or the other.
I dont know how much to get it done at a shop but if you have some basic tools and some time you can save some money, even if you have to buy the press(like 50 bucks or so I think). I think you can also use the press to remove and install the balljoints.
crumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
IntrepidXJ

$80 for spicer ball joints if you do the work yourself.....i've done many sets
Unread 03-09-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
SID297

What's everyone's favorite band of ball joints? I just had all four replaced with Moog greaseable ones.
SID297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #5
IntrepidXJ

i use spicer because they are good and cheaper (since i replace them yearly)
Unread 03-09-2007, 07:27 PM   #6
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID297
What's everyone's favorite band of ball joints? I just had all four replaced with Moog greaseable ones.
Moog is a fine reputable brand of chassis components.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
greenlawnjeeper
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I know this is an old post but FWIW, my mechanic wants $600 for both sides. $75 apiece for the BJ and $300 labor. He said during a morning annual inspection that my driver side is bad but the PS is OK.
'96 Cherokee Country, Magnaflow cat and Borla exhaust, Hella 550's, Up Country suspension, Michelin MS 2's in 235x15 and Edelbrock IAS shocks. 91K orig. miles - the wife uses it ('cept when I borrow it to go huntin').
greenlawnjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlawnjeeper View Post
$75 apiece for the BJ and $300 labor.
They usually come in upper/lower pairs. Crown is $50 a pair.

$300 labor for a mechanic to do both sides, can't argue with that.
WKdeuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I was quoted around $600 as well, did the Moogs with my father-in-law last Jan. Rented a press from Autozone and it took roughly 6-8 hours total, for all 4. First time either of us had done ball joints, so a little bit of a learning curve, and it took more brute force than the typical Jeep repairs I had done (water pump, brakes, radiator, sensors, etc), but they popped in and out. Kind of suprised a 2000 would fail the safety inspection for these. I drive 98% highway/city driving and grease all fittings 3-4 times a year, but shouldn't have to do them again for a long time.

Here is the how-to video that I found helpful:

mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #10
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Spicer or Moog as mentioned above are both quality parts.

I highly recommend not paying a shop to do this fix.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #11
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhall02 View Post
I was quoted around $600 as well, did the Moogs with my father-in-law last Jan. Rented a press from Autozone and it took roughly 6-8 hours total, for all 4. First time either of us had done ball joints, so a little bit of a learning curve, and it took more brute force than the typical Jeep repairs I had done (water pump, brakes, radiator, sensors, etc), but they popped in and out. Kind of suprised a 2000 would fail the safety inspection for these. I drive 98% highway/city driving and grease all fittings 3-4 times a year, but shouldn't have to do them again for a long time.

Here is the how-to video that I found helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3jjPouRdFw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYcqNAhk-co
My old car has visible play in the ball joints (jack it up and you could wiggle the wheel up and down) and it passed NYS inspection! Guess it's a how-concerned-is-the-shop thing?
Unread 04-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
greenlawnjeeper
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Funny thing, my shop said he couldn't fail me on a NYS inspection with bad ball joints? How's that? Granted, I had very little play (I know you want zero play) but what about those that are ready to pop out? Having a wheel come off wouldn't be much fun. On another note (and I haven't searched topics yet), I notice some are advertised as "adjustable" to give you more camber or caster - are they necessary? I don't have a lift and the tires are 235's - if that matters.
'96 Cherokee Country, Magnaflow cat and Borla exhaust, Hella 550's, Up Country suspension, Michelin MS 2's in 235x15 and Edelbrock IAS shocks. 91K orig. miles - the wife uses it ('cept when I borrow it to go huntin').
Unread 04-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #13
ExpressoNate
1997 XJ Cherokee 

NO! It will drive your alignment guy insane, and your wallet will bleed! DO NOT BUY THEM! They are adjusted by "guessing" on where to set it, installing it, hooking it up, and seeing where it's at. If it's off, u do the entire job again. Dont do it! Do you want to pay the labor for this? No... So, just have it done with a standard one.

Crashing sucks!

Save money by using [url]www.advanceauto.com[/url]. Click my referral link to save up to 40% off retail cost! [url]http://advanceautoparts.tellapal.com/a/clk/7l10p[/url]
ExpressoNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
greenlawnjeeper
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks - sounds good to me.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.