Ball Joint replacement on Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Ball Joint replacement on Cherokee

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
Domski

Ball Joint replacement on Cherokee

Hi,

I'm a newbie on your site, enquiring for a friend of mine who has a 4.0 Cherokee, he needs to replace the upper & lower balljoints. Could somebody please say what is involved & how easy the job is?, or a link to a 'how to' guide?

many thanks,

Domski

Domski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:38 PM   #2
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

A ball joint press would be beneficial. It's been a while, but I remember some mention of which brand some of the guys on here liked. Might not be bad to have some post reguarding this topic again. I know autozone rents a ball joint press, but I think the quality was a little poor and it had a tendency to bend....and I think the AmPro kit that Advance sells is not the best quality either. Hopefully someone else can give some advice on the tools.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
Tazjig
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i would definately invest in a tool, either rent one or buy it, it makes life so much easier, ball joints on xj's aren't hard, the uppers are just a little tricky to get at.
1990 240sx (SR20) - SOLD
Tazjig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #4
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Go here: http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/TECHNICAL.htm

Look for the link called "Installing adjustable ball joints". The method is the same for installing regular or adjustable types, and this page shows in great detail how it's done.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #5
Domski

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff
Go here: http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/TECHNICAL.htm

Look for the link called "Installing adjustable ball joints". The method is the same for installing regular or adjustable types, and this page shows in great detail how it's done.
Cheers M8, just the kind of thing we were looking for, we are thinking of shipping some over from 'MAKO SERVICE' in the US (we're in the UK), do you know what the quality of their parts are like??

Thanks
Domski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
rjlanam
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I try to search this forum but there a lot of links to madxj.com which seems to longer exist! Having a hard time not starting new threads for issues like this that threads already exist for!
rjlanam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 07:40 AM   #7
Kaboom22
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ball joints XJ

Try youtube videos. Make sure you get an alignment after you complete Ball joints install. Probably all day job. Be patient!

Good luck
Kaboom22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #8
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yep, I used the youtube videos as well. It took about 7-8 hours to do all 4, they are a pain to get out and everything has to be lined up perfectly when pressing them back in or they will not go. Popping them out, may want to PB blast them a few days before, as it is a workout.
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 10:08 AM   #9
calvin196
2001 XJ Cherokee 

This chick made a good video I found on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sH-vAGV2qM
calvin196 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I did mine in about 8 hours.

It was easier than on other vehicles. But the axle was in the back of my Jeep when I was doing the ball joints. The hard part was keeping the axle from flopping around when I was really yarning on the breaker bar and press.
Unread 08-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #11
accorn
1989 XJ Cherokee 

If you rent a tool, the parts store I went to had a second kit for 4wd, it basically is just more press cups. They really came in handy. Also I found you can put an impact gun on the mega c clamp once you get them started in straight. It really cut down on the removal and install time! Took me about 3 hours to do 2 the first time I did it. Pretty sure doing it again would be less than an hour per ball joint.
One other note, make sure the side you are doing is as high in the air as you can get it! Cuts down on how much oil gets into the axle shaft and later bleeds out onto your parking spot!

I am currently looking to do it again, this time with beefier ball joints.
accorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Definitely get as many cups as you can I used almost all of them haha. Harbor freight has a full set . Had to use a breaker bar and a cheater bar to break them free.
Unread 08-15-2014, 02:11 PM   #13
RLE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Installation is much easier if you put your ball joints in the freezer the night before.
RLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #14
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLE View Post
Installation is much easier if you put your ball joints in the freezer the night before.
With a splined ball joint it won't help much . Better off greasing it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.