Ball joint loose in yoke - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Ball joint loose in yoke

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 06-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
1996xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ball joint loose in yoke

I replaced my Upper ball joints a few months ago and just noticed that they are no longer fully seated in the yoke or "ear" on the axle, loose to the point where I could actually twist the top of them bit. After doing a little research I decided to replace them with a the Moog "problem solver" ball joints which are supposed to be slightly wider than the OEM ones. It didn't take that much force to press them in there, so not I'm worried these will eventually work loose too.

Anyone else run into this issue before?

BTW, I coated the moog joints with Permatex "Sleeve Retainer" loctite, so hopefully that will give them a little more bonding strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89
i am just gunna drive around in 4lo on dry streets, and peel out
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0H.O.XJ
I once got a ticket for jerking while driving it. The cop wouldnt let me use his pen to sign the ticket.
1996xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
lazyxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Tack them in with a MIG welder, top and bottom.
The yokes are already screwed up so there is little to lose.
2001 Sport, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KOs, R.E. DB, R.E.-UCA, JKS-LCA, ACOS, 8.25-4.56-TruTrac, SYE, D-30 E-locker w/alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
lazyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
1996xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well the passenger ball joint has already move up a bit, so it looks like I will be welding it.
Quote:
Quote:
I once got a ticket for jerking while driving it. The cop wouldnt let me use his pen to sign the ticket.
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

you could have the yokes machined out to accept a repair sleeve, which would also need to be machined and then pressed or welded in place.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
1996xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Decided to just weld it today. Put 4 tack welds around it without the ball joint getting hot. But then decided to put a two large welds on it just in case, which made it too hot to touch. Hopefully I didn't damage the joint internals.

I only welded the pass ball joint as the drivr side was still in place. Oddly it was the moog joint that came loose, while the store brand one stayed tight. Obviously there are other possible varible but kinda pissed i spend 2.5x as much on the moog joint and it didn't solve the problem.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
Pats94
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Welding ball joints? Why would that seem to be a good idea? I understand being on a budget but not a good idea there.
Unread 06-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
lazyxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats94 View Post
Welding ball joints? Why would that seem to be a good idea? I understand being on a budget but not a good idea there.
How would you suggest fixing this problem while spending little or nothing?
Locktite, knurling or shims isn't going to be strong enough.
He has a D30 with worn yokes and doesn't want to spend big bucks on it, so, other than replacing the axle housing or having expensive machine work done, tacking is his only choice for keeping the ball joints tightly in place.

The tacks should be kept small and allowed to cool between tacks, to prevent damaging the internals. If placed correctly, the tacks can be ground off, if the ball joints need to be removed in the future.
I have done this to two D30s, both of which are still on the road after several years of daily use.
If he is building a serious rig, finding a good replacement housing or better still, a bigger axle is the best solution.
A cheaper, more involved solution would be to cut and remove the Cs and then weld in good ones, rotating them to correct the caster...it's not an easy thing to do.
2001 Sport, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KOs, R.E. DB, R.E.-UCA, JKS-LCA, ACOS, 8.25-4.56-TruTrac, SYE, D-30 E-locker w/alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
lazyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
1996xj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pats94 View Post
There's no where for the ball joint to go if the welds fail... It still rode fine even when both ball joints were loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
He has a D30 with worn yokes and doesn't want to spend big bucks on it, so, other than replacing the axle housing or having expensive machine work done, tacking is his only choice for keeping the ball joints tightly in place.

The tacks should be kept small and allowed to cool between tacks, to prevent damaging the internals. If placed correctly, the tacks can be ground off, if the ball joints need to be removed in the future.
I have done this to two D30s, both of which are still on the road after several years of daily use.
If he is building a serious rig, finding a good replacement housing or better still, a bigger axle is the best solution.
A cheaper, more involved solution would be to cut and remove the Cs and then weld in good ones, rotating them to correct the caster...it's not an easy thing to do.
That's good to hear. Just trying to keep it going till it succumbs to rust, basically just for around town driving, and doesn't go off road anymore.

Thanks for posting.
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Tack them in with a MIG welder, top and bottom.
The yokes are already screwed up so there is little to lose.
That's what I did and after several months of quite hard use they are still in place.
moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Wrap them with Duct Tape. Just kidding!
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #11
Pats94
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post

Wrap them with Duct Tape. Just kidding!
I thought what was doing was the same thing! Lol
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
Pats94
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

I would SUGGEST that you fix it right. Sometimes cheap Micky mouse fixes get people hurt and not just you. If that's how you want to fix it please stay off road. The cheap fix is blow a c note get a used front end....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.