Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bad turning radius

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  oIIIIIooIIIIIo 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 90 xj jeep with 8 lift. Ever since I installed the lift, my turning radius to the right is really bad. I do have the stock drag link and tie rod on the jeep. My question: If I replace both my tie rod and drag link with over the knuckle steering , will that solve the issue?

#2 ·
8" with stock steering? Eeeeep.

Can you give us a little more info on how you got there? Long or short arm, kit or piecemeal, etc.

#8 ·
Okay. Have you watched teh steering cycle lock to lock to see what's not getting to the the stops? Just have a friend start it (LEAVE IT IN PARK) and turn the wheel all the way each direction while you watch it cycle. That should tell you something more about what's not turning the full length. could be your pitman arm just doesn't have enough throw for the angle you're operating at, could be that you're hitting stops early due to some quirk of the alignment, or the angle of your axle, or something else. Best thing is to watch.

#9 ·
More than likely your issue is that the pitman arm doesn't give you enough turning radius in one direction with that much lift and under-the-knuckle steering.
You 100% definitely must swap to OTK steering, preferably to true high steer.

I'm kinda wondering about the 8" lift.. what do you gain going from 5.5" to 8"? I'd pull the 2" spacers. 5.5" + trimming allows you to run 37s..

#11 ·
You need to get an adjustable track bar and have it aligned. The reason you have more turning radius on one side and not the other is the axel is no longer centered. Also the steering rod has to reach down lower.
By the part and get it aligned and your problem should go away.
With 8" you will probably need a drop pitman as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.