Bad NEW oil filter?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Bad NEW oil filter??

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
jdcountryboy91
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bad NEW oil filter??

Ok so some of you guys know I just posted a topic about what oil/filter combo to use. Thanks for the help in that regard.
I ended up getting pennzoil 10w30 and a purolater oil filter. Someone later posted in that topic saying that he had purolater filters go bad on him. He mentioned something about the oil pressure not climbing until like 3 seconds after the engine cranks. not good. Sad to say this is happening to me ever since I changed my oil the other day. I pulled into my driveway earlier and watched the gauge go down to almost nothing when idling. Im guessing that is not good either. Has anyone else had this problem with purolater? Any suggestions?

jdcountryboy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

I would be leary of the sensor before you condemn an oil filter. The sending units have a worse reputation than the filters. Just my 2 cents.
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcountryboy91 View Post
Ok so some of you guys know I just posted a topic about what oil/filter combo to use. Thanks for the help in that regard.
I ended up getting pennzoil 10w30 and a purolater oil filter. Someone later posted in that topic saying that he had purolater filters go bad on him. He mentioned something about the oil pressure not climbing until like 3 seconds after the engine cranks. not good. Sad to say this is happening to me ever since I changed my oil the other day. I pulled into my driveway earlier and watched the gauge go down to almost nothing when idling. Im guessing that is not good either. Has anyone else had this problem with purolater? Any suggestions?
I would say x2 on the bad sensor. How close is "close to zero"?

The 4.0's only need 13 psi. of oil pressure at hot idle.

The symptom of not having pressure for a couple seconds sounds normal as the pump needs to prime the galleys. Mine does the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
bikedude189
1993 XJ Cherokee 

x3 sender, especially because its right down where the filter is, you could have cracked the housing or dumped oil in the electrical side...
2" LIFT
BFG A/T'S
bikedude189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
jdcountryboy91
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the advice. The hand was one line above 0 at warm idle. It might have done this all the time and just never paid any attention to it.
Unread 09-29-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

That is where mine sits. I only have like 16 psi at idle, but it is satisfactory. The middle mark should be 40 and the far right 80. So I believe you are at 20 psi hot idle, which is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
jdcountryboy91
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ok so it has probably always done this and I've just never noticed it...
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
XJNUTTIER
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yeah the sender is surely problamtic, and one of the 1st things I replaced on my Jeep within the 1st week...LOL But I think you can't go wrong with a regualr old Mopar M090 filter, and they even sell them at wally world now..I have had seem motors go BAD, from inferior oil filters, my Mom's 79 fullsize Cherokee fell victim to a Fram oil filter, wehn the seam of the filter failed, dropped all the oil out very qickly, and before she realized, the motor was seized... I seem 2 Cummins diesel engines in Dodge Rams god bad, Because of Fram oil filters. Cummins will no longer honor the 5 year 100k mile warranty if you use a non approved filter now, such as Fram. Honestly, I work for a Jeep dealership, and a lot of the parts are insane for the price they want, but one thing I will never not get factory, or go cheap on is the oil filter. Oh yeah, by the way, the Mopar filter at Wally world is in the realm of like 5 bucks, and they Are a quality filter.
XJNUTTIER is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.