bad miss after over heat and new gasket ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > bad miss after over heat and new gasket ??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-15-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
poor man

bad miss after over heat and new gasket ??

Hi guys, my wifes jeep is a 1998 cherokee sport 4.0 auto 4x4

ok before we start i know what i "should have done" but money stopped me so i did what i could with what i have......

so the other day the t stat stuck and it overheated on her, so i loaded it on a trailer and brought it home, i looked it over and filled the radiator and fired it up, it run rougher than all get out, and there was steam bubbles coming up the filler neck with the cap off, But no water in the oil or in the cylinders.. so Off with its head! looked like gasket blew between 1 & 2 so i cleaned it all up and popped a new head gasket on it (im out of work now so i cant afford to take it to a machine shop) so anyway its not steaming bubbles out of the filler neck now but it still has a nasty miss to it, ive checked all the plugs and wires and cap and i dont see anything wrong, i put a spark tester on it and it has good spark on all cylinders, it does smooth out when you bring up the rpm's i drove it a short way down the road and it run smooth going down the road BUT when stopped in gear it really shakes any thoughts on what it is? im trying to fix it for her myself because of lack of money to take it in, thanks in advance...

poor man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
poor man

nothing?
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Have you changed the plugs?? CEL? Any codes?

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
poor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
Have you changed the plugs?? CEL? Any codes?

Sent from my phone
well i didnt change the plugs but i pulled them and looked at them and then laid them "one by one" on the motor and fired it up looking at the spark. it looked hot.

the check engine light did come on but i havnt tried to get the codes off it yet, thanks for the help
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poor man View Post
the check engine light did come on but i havnt tried to get the codes off it yet, thanks for the help
That'd be a good starting point. Get the codes read, most big box parts places will read them for you for free. Then post 'em up.
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
poor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
That'd be a good starting point. Get the codes read, most big box parts places will read them for you for free. Then post 'em up.
that could be a tuff one.... i live 15 miles from town and cant drive it that far... i tried the key off and on and holding the odometer button in and neither work or at least no codes show up, but the check eng light is still on

thanks
Unread 08-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #7
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Buy a code reader off eBay.... they run about 30$

Edit: or turn the key on (not start) 3 times leaving it on the third time and see if you get any codes on the odometer readout.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #8
poor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holder350 View Post
Buy a code reader off eBay.... they run about 30$

Edit: or turn the key on (not start) 3 times leaving it on the third time and see if you get any codes on the odometer readout.

Sent from my phone
thanks i tried the key thing it didnt work i called a friend who said he knew somebody with a code reader and he was going to borrow it and come over and check it...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.