Bad Grinding While Turning Right and Bouncing... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Bad Grinding While Turning Right and Bouncing...

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
Steelcube
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Bad Grinding While Turning Right and Bouncing...

So here's another one of these threads. I notice that whenever I'm turning right and my jeep bounces a little I get a bad metallic like grinding on the front driver's side. It never happens any other way so far. I notice it when I'm driving down my apartments parking garage and I'm applying brakes and transitioning to the next level which is flat.

I've jacked it up and turned the wheels to see if it was contacting the fenders, doing this doesn't recreate the noise.
I've removed the sway bar completely (actually I sheared a bolt while going to replace the bushings, I have quick discos on the way).
I've replaced the hub assembly which didn't seem that bad to begin with, I didn't replace the u joint because it seemed fine.
When I jack up the jeep and try to wiggle the wheels they seem solid.
I've removed the dust shield, which I didn't believe to be a problem in the first place (I'll likely put it back on now).

And it's still happening. Since I've replaced the hub assembly it actually happens more easily, doesn't take too much jostling to get it to make the noise, but it definitely needs some up and down bouncing motion, turning right on flat ground doesn't seem to make the noise.

Thoughts? I may end up just dropping it off at an auto shop and have them figure it out if it'll require a lot of effort.

Steelcube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
Steelcube
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thought I'd just post this. I noticed something leaking on the driver's front side on the knuckle, I think it's differential fluid and maybe the noise is coming from the differential? Probably need to replace that seal and refill the differential fluid.

I removed the dust shield before I noticed this and it still made grinding noise. I figure the noise is worse after replacing the hub because I removed the axle shaft and maybe some fluid leaked out when I did that...
Steelcube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #3
etlloyd
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Replace your U-joints. They are cheap and quick and since you need to replace your inner axle seal (located in your differential) you have to pull your axle out anyway. I turned my roller bearings in the u-joints to powder before I replaced them, yes I know tisk tisk, I was lazy I should have replaced them months before. I would pop and skip around, much like you are describing. The extra movement is also what I think caused the axle seal to fail as well.
etlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.