Backup light fuse? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Backup light fuse?

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 05-24-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Backup light fuse?

I searched the forum but didn't find an answer...
Is there a fuse for the backup lights, or is the NSS the only point of failure short of a wiring problem (assuming BOTH bulbs havent failed at the same time!)?
I've looked at a fuse panel diagram but it doesn't list one for the backup lights.

TIA

Steve

sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you are missing both of your backup lights, I'd suspect the neutral safety switch. Any of the other NSS symptoms like having to wiggle the shift lever to get it to turn over, or have to start in neutral?
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

NSS can be cleaned and adjusted.. Do that before replacing it. If only 1 bulb is the issue I'd be looking for a wiring short or bad bulb or socket.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Link to a good article on how to "refurbish" the neutral safety switch. Good pics!

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
FleXJay
1995 XJ Cherokee 

ooooorrrr when your NSS leaves you stranded in a parking lot far away from home with little to no money with no one around you can go on your smart phone, look up the connector diagram for the NSS harness, cut up a old cell fone charger for the wires, use a nail clipper to strip the harness back and jump the 2 black wires in the harness to get her runnin again!.....not that ive had to do this or anything.......
Unread 05-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sooo, no fuse then?
There are no other NSS related issues...
I suppose I could jumper the harness and see if the lights come on.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 02:06 AM   #7
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I'm sure the back-up lights run through a fuse, and if the related wiring rubs against body sheet metal long enough it can short out and blow the fuse. I don't see the specific fuse mentioned in my panel documentation either though.

I'm inclined to agree with the other fellows however, that the NSS turns out to be the cause for lack of back-up lights more often than anything. The starter functionality runs through a second set of contacts that seems to last a bit longer before needing cleaning. An easy way to verify which is the problem would be to unplug the NSS connection at the fireway by the tranny dipstick and use a paperclip to make a temporary jumper in the harness side receptacle. If the lights come on with the jumper in place, the problem is in the NSS. If you decide to clean and service it yourself, take your time and be careful in removing since its plastic housing can be very fragile.

Connect your back-up lights test jumper as indicated here.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.