Backspacing help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Backspacing help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #1
steve888
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Backspacing help

I have an xj with a 3" lift stock wheels and 30x9.5x15 bfg a/t's. As of right now I am not happy with how skinny the rear end looks with stock backspacing, or lack there of. I am looking at getting cragar soft 8's, should I run a 15x8 or stick with a 15x7? Also what kind of backspacing would be appropriate to get the wider look without having to do any trimming?

steve888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

If you plan to stay with a 30x9.50 or a 31x10.50 tire the 15x7 will work great. The 15x8 will work also, but the backspacing will set the stance. I would go with 4" if you want the tires to sit farther out, 4.5" will keep them under the flares better though. with 3" of lift and 30's you shouldn't have to trim anything unless you flex it out a lot.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with xjfever... 4" or so of BS sets the tires nicely out near the edge of the flares. I'm using wheels with 5.5" of BS with 1.25" spacers for an effective BS'ing of 4.25" with 31" tires, and consider the end results perfect. Here are the before and after photos (with Grizzly 15x7 wheels with 5.5" of BS - my GC Canyon wheels with my off-road tires have the same dimensions). Keep in mind that the before photos (first two) show what 5.5" of BS looks like, and the after photos (last two), what 4.25" of BS looks like with 31"x10.5" tires...
before1.jpg   before2.jpg   1.25-spacers.jpg   after1.jpg   after2.jpg  

habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #4
steve888
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the help and photos that is exactly the look I am going for. Where is a good place to pick up a set of those spacers?
Unread 03-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #5
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I don't remember - but I do recall that the lug nuts supplied didn't work on the XJ's lugs. So... I ended up having to buy both "open" lug nuts like the ones in the photos (that would hold the spacers on the hubs, since they had to fit down inside the holes in the spacers but stay below the surface of the spacer), plus I had to buy "closed" lug nuts (the tall ones that cover up the lug when installed) that fit the adapter's lugs. You will want to check the specs on the threading for the XJ and adapter lugs to avoid that particular hassle.

One more detail - if I was running a common 15x8" wheel (like the Wrangler Canyon wheel), they would stick out of the fender wells 1" more than in the photos. The backspacing determines where the BACK of the wheel ends up - then the width of the wheel determines where the FRONT of the wheel ends up.
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
steve888
2001 XJ Cherokee 

habbyguy, thanks I never really understood what backspacing did until now, Im gonna look at different spacer options this weekend, hopefully ill have something ordered soon.
xjfever, when I do finally decide to get new wheels i want the look that you have, what kind of backspacing/wheels are you running on your jeep?
Unread 03-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

a lot of times you can buy rims with 4 inch offset as cheap as the spacers and tire shops won't freak out.
It also lets you keep a spare set of rims and tires if you want to keep a set of street tires and a set for offroading.

I didn't really shop, just a quick google search and found these..
http://www.jegs.com/i/Cragar/260/342-5712/10002/-1
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.