Backfiring Through Intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Backfiring Through Intake

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
drewguere

Backfiring Through Intake

My cherokee is making a popping noise and backfiring through the intake. It used to do this periodically, but it is now doing it a lot more often.

I looked it up and it said it could be a problem with the timing, having a lean mixture, or a vacuum leak

Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone have a solution, or something to check?

drewguere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

How about a specific and detailed description of when and how your Cherokee does this trick. All the time, sometimes, only when cold, only when warm, only after ........... ? What parts, sensors, or systems have you inspected, have you tested, or have you replaced ?

When was your last full tune-up ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #3
drewguere

It used to do it rarely, usually when taking off from a stoplight or something. Now it is doing it whenever I start the jeep.

You can hear it sucking air through the intake very hard, like you can hear it over the motor when the hood is open. It will sound like its going to die, then rev up a bit, then do it again and again.

It does it warm or cold.

The jeep hasnt been driven since september 07. So of course I need a tune up, and I will get to that this weekend, but this problem was happening even when I used to drive it daily and had new plugs/wires on it.

It has a brand new crank sensor on it, and relatively new O2 sensors.
Unread 03-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewguere View Post
It will sound like its going to die, then rev up a bit, then do it again and again....It does it warm or cold....
Put a can of SeaFoam or Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner into the next two gas tank fill-ups. Clean the Idle Air Controller (IAC) and throttle body. Tune up with Champion spark plugs, a new air filter, new wires, cap, and rotor.

If you get all the routine maintenance done and it still mis-behaves, test the Throttle Position Sensor and Coolant Temperature Sensor for smooth response and readings within specifications.

Cleaning the Idle Air Controller (IAC) :

Purchase sensor safe Throttle Body cleaner spray.

1. Remove the Throttle body from the intake manifold.
2. Remove the IAC with a TORX 15 driver (2 bolts)
3. Gently wiggle out the IAC from the throttle body
4. Clean the IAC with throttle body cleaner (not carburetor cleaner) Use cleaner, a rag and a toothbrush.
Be gentle; don’t twist or pull on the pintle as it is fragile and can be damaged easily
5. Also clean where the IAC seats in the throttle body with the same throttle body cleaner
6. Reinstall IAC, the Throttle body, and check idle quality.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
CheyenneK5
1989 XJ Cherokee 

also check your fuel pressure...a faulty fuel pump will cause this as it causes a lean condition

The Comments made by this Person are in NO way meant to Offend anyone, they are the opinions of a single person and if they piss you off then sorry about your luck
CheyenneK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
swells
1990 XJ Cherokee 

my cherokee backfired through the intake when I would start it. the battery was toast and the alt was only producing 9 or 10 volts apreantly low voltage causes this and many other problems
Unread 03-24-2009, 05:55 AM   #7
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with CheyenneK5, fuel pressure would be one of the first tests to perform. Takes only a few minutes and a fuel pressure gauge installed on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Compare to factory specs.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
drewguere

Where would I get a fuel pressure guage?

Would auto zone or something like that have one?
Unread 03-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyenneK5 View Post
also check your fuel pressure...a faulty fuel pump will cause this as it causes a lean condition
Bingo. Low fuel pressure will cause backfiring thru the intake.

FP gauges can be purchased at Autozone.
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #10
Camo-5
1978 FSJ Cherokee 

Any luck finding out what this was? I have the EXACT same problem. I could not describe it any better myself. Mine started last summer, went away for over 6,000 miles, then came back again a couple weeks ago. I've done the following trying to figure out what it is:
New TPS
New Idle air control
New throttle body (well, I wanted a 62mm anyway)
New MAP sensor
New plugs, cap, rotor, wires, coil, battery.
I just bought a new temp sensor today so I'll try that over the weekend (need to replace thermostat anyway).
If that doesn't work, I'm going to move onto the alternator. I just replaced the battery. Not sure if it was bad, but it was 6 years old. It wouldn't hold a charge very long. Maybe it was the alternator.

Anyway, please let me know if you find out what you problem was and I will do the same!

BTW, great site! I've been visiting for years, figured this would be a good time to join in!
Camo-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
98CherokeeLTD
1992 XJ Cherokee 

mine has had the same issue ever since I got it. But mine only does it when its damp or i go baja thru a puddle. so i think mine may be a vacuum leak..it gets really annoying when your wheelin and it starts poppin and fartin and losin power
98CherokeeLTD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 07:29 AM   #12
chadtheman

DId you end up fixing the problem. MIne is doing the same thing and is getting super annoying.
MIne started doing it while i was wheeling. SAme thing backing firing through the intake and when i jam the pedal down, it hesitiates real bad and acts like it is gonig to stall.
chadtheman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
Topgun514
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Chad, sounds like a TPS, follow CJ7-Tims examples first
3.5" Lift, RE SF LCA's with skids, 31x10.50R15 Duratracs, ARB Roofrack, Custom Bumper, Glasspack, Bored TB, Custom seats
Topgun514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #14
DallastheJeeper

2006 LJ Wrangler 

anything happen with this?
|____________________/||__/----|
|(@)(@)"""""""""""|(@) (@)***|(@)

#5-06 Salvage Rebuild LJ
Metalcloak Bumper, Overline fenders and Corner guards.
3.5" Sus Lift
1'' Body lift and engine lift

#4-98 TJ Sahara RIP :(
#3-42 GPW Project. Currently on hold Sand blasted the body and it was held together by screen and bondo so new Tub needed
#2-88 Comanche Currently getting a frame off rebuild and a 4bt.
#1-1994 Power Wheels Wrangler
DallastheJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.