Ax-15 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Ax-15 swap

Awesome Open box items at OPENBOXOFFROAD.COMIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep parts, deals and more at JeepHut.com

Unread 03-24-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
KBR85

Ax-15 swap

Ok, so I bought a 97 TJ which turned out to be rusted out beyond repair and I'm trying to salvage something without rediculous cost.
Got a 89 XJ that I'm going to get with a bad motor. I know I can swap motors out no problem since they are both i6, my question is what snags if any am I looking at if I try to swap out motor, tranny, and t case?
TJ is ax15
XJ is automatic

KBR85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
KBR85

More likely scenario is just swapping motor. Any problem going from 97 4.0L that was mated to a 5spd to a 89 4.0L auto setup?
KBR85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2015, 06:09 PM   #3
94TwoDoor
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I don't know exactly off the top of my head, but I would guess there are many potential issues. ABS hookups/computer from the TJ, connections to dash lights/instruments, emissions systems and downstream of cat o2 sensors, different accessories to make it fit in the engine bay, different crossmember and rear engine mount, different length driveshafts... You're going between models and across a large number of years. It probably isn't feasible.
94TwoDoor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

The hard part is converting the xj to manual. U will need to get the proper clutch cylinders and plumb all the lines
1stockjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.