AX-15 shifting troubles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > AX-15 shifting troubles

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-10-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

AX-15 shifting troubles

I recently got a new job in downtown dallas. My xj which has 5" of lift and 31's is not used to this city driving. I put 136 miles on her every day. Whenever the temp guage gets over 210 it becomes nearly impossible to shift from N to 1st. When sitting in traffic it's no fun to keep your foot burried in the clutch but thats what im stuck doing. When it gets this hot i also notice it being "sticky" when shifting into the other gears as well.
The other day while at a red light on an uphill slope i noticed that when 1st was engaged and the clutch pressed to the floor, if i let off the brake the jeep wouldn't roll back. At the next light, on level ground, i tested this again and the jeep crept foreward.

None of this is any good, Im thinking hood vents, trans cooler, hurst shifter (cause I want one and it might help), and replace trans fluid with high grade fluid (royal purple/lucas).

am i on the right track?
any idea why this is happening?

Unread 07-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #2
mattbred
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Most likely you need to replace your master or slave cylinder as the clutch is still engaged. Might want to ask a tranny shop about it if you don't have any experience.
mattbred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
BrunoS

exact same issue...the DOT3 fluid can't handle the heat, starts to boil after heavy a/c use and stuck in traffic with 85-95'F outside air temps in los angeles.

try switching to dot3/4 fluid with higher boiling point, in the clutch. simply bleed (easy on the 96 i've got) the clutch fluid with the new stuff. since dot 4/5 is fully synthetic, stick with the DOT3/4 stuff that is fully compatible with the DOT3 stock fluid.
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbred View Post
Most likely you need to replace your master or slave cylinder as the clutch is still engaged. Might want to ask a tranny shop about it if you don't have any experience.
about this time in '05 my clutch went out 3 days after i bought the jeep. The previous owner installed the wrong clutch plate... the fork got ground down to a nub, everything got torn up. I replaced everything under the pedal so i shouldn't need to replace these again so soon right? sorry i failed to mention this in my first post.

Bruno I hadn't thought about that, I'll be doing that tomorrow, but I was kinda hoping somebody would tell me the hurst shifter would fix it so I could justify getting one.
Unread 07-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #5
MBJR9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cherokeeclass View Post
Bruno I hadn't thought about that, I'll be doing that tomorrow, but I was kinda hoping somebody would tell me the hurst shifter would fix it so I could justify getting one.
Oh it will. The longer leverage to pivot ratio, slick chrome handle, and white shift knob will all disipate heat to provide a long term gain in purchasing the shifter ! Plus it look bad *** !

Trust me, I know how you feel. I want one too!

The Daily Driver
2004 Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi V8, 545RFE 5 Speed Auto, NP241, Chrysler 8.0/Chrysler 9.25, 10mpg
MBJR9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cherokeeclass View Post
I recently got a new job in downtown dallas. My xj which has 5" of lift and 31's is not used to this city driving. I put 136 miles on her every day. Whenever the temp guage gets over 210 it becomes nearly impossible to shift from N to 1st. When sitting in traffic it's no fun to keep your foot burried in the clutch but thats what im stuck doing. When it gets this hot i also notice it being "sticky" when shifting into the other gears as well.
The other day while at a red light on an uphill slope i noticed that when 1st was engaged and the clutch pressed to the floor, if i let off the brake the jeep wouldn't roll back. At the next light, on level ground, i tested this again and the jeep crept foreward.

None of this is any good, Im thinking hood vents, trans cooler, hurst shifter (cause I want one and it might help), and replace trans fluid with high grade fluid (royal purple/lucas).

am i on the right track?
any idea why this is happening?
Try Amsoil fluid, the synthetics will definetly hold up to the heat better.
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
JeepRide
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Use redline mtl tranny fluid works much better than regular gear oil.
Unread 07-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yea ill be replacing the clutch and tranny fluid when i install my new hurst shifter (see thread "hurst shifter whoop!)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.