AW4 Transmission Manual Shift Modification - Operation Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > AW4 Transmission Manual Shift Modification - Operation Questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
chainerx
1998 XJ Cherokee 

AW4 Transmission Manual Shift Modification - Operation Questions

http://articles.jeepforum.com/XJ_AW4_TCU_Shift_Mod

I'm thinking of doing this mod, but do I need the torque converter lockup switch if i want it mostly to have more control over engine braking on longer downhills?

Also when should I use the TQ lockup switch other than at cruising speed on the highway? What are the advantages of the TQ lockup switch?

Lastly, can the check engine code it will throw on a '97 up be hidden so I'd be able to see the check engine light come on for any other issues?

chainerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
chainerx
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone have any input?
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #3
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

get over on naxja in the jeepspeed section, they'll be able to help you out

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainerx View Post
...I'm thinking of doing this mod
Why ?

Quote:
...i want it mostly to have more control over engine braking on longer downhills....
Simply put the transmission selector in 3 instead of OD. Overdrive will be disengaged and you will have engine braking.

Quote:
... can the check engine code it will throw on a '97 up be hidden so I'd be able to see the check engine light come on for any other issues?
Probably not.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

The torque converter locks up on its own. If you are looking at the place I think you are looking at for the info, the poster incorrectly states that the converter normally only locks up at WOT. This is simply not true. If your converter doesn't lock up during "normal" driving, something is wrong. Start off "normally", and pay close attention to the shifts. You should feel a shift from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to overdrive, then one more "shift". This last "shift" is the converter locking up. The TQ mod is completely useless, and can easily cause driveability issues if you forget to turn it off when slowing down. The shift mod, on the other hand, I can see a use for. You can easily do one without the other.

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
KF4SQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
chainerx
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the explanation. So on the freeway the TQ is normally locked at cruising speed, 65-70mph?

I'm going to be moving about 1,000 miles soon, so if the TQ switch would get me 1-3 more freeway mpg I'd save a decent amount of money in short order.
Unread 03-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
BeachinXJ
Resident McGeek

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have this mod (from AWShfiting) on my Trail-Only XJ. It's a great mod for the trails, but fairly pointless for street driving. The TC lockup switch will do nothing but possibly damage your tranny if you forget it's on.

I would suggest skipping the mod all together, unless you like looking at the CEL.

If you have any more specific questions, I can try to help you out. I have been running it for a few years.
Join the XJ Owners Club | Download the iMarn® iPhone App!
SIRA 4x4 Offroad Association
Rule #1 - No talking about the weather!
Homepage | Jeepspace Group|Twitter!|Facebook
BeachinXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
chainerx
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Is the CEL going to be always on, or will it only come on when the switch is flipped?

I'll probably use it rather seldom, so if it only throws a code when used I can clear the code when I'm done using the switches that day with my cheap code reader.
Unread 03-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You do NOT want to use a torque converter clutch to help you slow down. They aren't made for that kind of use.

In an emergency, lets say, you lose the brakes. You'll drop the auto trans in 1 in an attempt to stop. That's what it does, goes in the lowest gear it can and locks the torque converter. Not the best for anything.
Unread 03-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
chainerx
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Does anyone know if the CEL would always be on, or only when one of the switches is flipped (until the switch is flipped off and the code cleared with a reader)?
Unread 03-31-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

CEL should only come on when you use the mod. With the switches in the "normal" position, everything is "original".

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
KF4SQB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aq4 , aw4 kit , manual , manual lockup , shift kit , shifting , tcu mod , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.