AW4 Transmission help please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > AW4 Transmission help please

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
Nhagar

AW4 Transmission help please

ok I have a 98 Cherokee 4.0L with auto trans.

Ok I need help with this thing. When I put it in OD postion and go. I can feel it shift through the gears but when I get to say 50mph I am running 3000-3500 RPMs. If I let off the gas the rpms instantly drop to 1500rpms. Now if i get on the gas just a bit to get the rpms up to 2000. The motor revs but its not pulling/accelerating. if I give it more gas I can then fill it start pulling again at the 3000 rpms again.

Now if I get up to 50mph and rpms are high if I let off the gas rpms drop to 1500. I can then manually put the shifter into 3 position and then the rpms jump up and it downshifts into 3rd.

so I know it is or assume it is shifting through all the gears.

What can I do to get the OD to work and be able to drive 50+mph without over revving the motor?

I have replaced TPS and did the adjustment trick.
Need to know if I can fix or if Rebuild is in the near future.

Nhagar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What size tires are on it?
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
Nhagar

they are stock wheels and tires. well actually I think that maybe I went from 225 to 235's so I could get 8 ply tires instead of 6 ply.
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Did you install a genuine Jeep TPS, or did you install some crappy Chinese "Lifetime Warranty" junk ? Cheap crappy "Lifetime Warranty" parts are often out of specification or even failed right out of the box. Many times they have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep sensors.

Make sure your transmission fluid is clean, and filled to the correct level. The AW-4 transmission uses Dexron-III/Mercon transmission fluid. Any other transmission fluid type may cause strange shifting.

Go here - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/t...ks-tsbs-89273/ - and find the AW-4 Service and Diagnostics Manuals. Perform the tests and follow the diagnostic procedures.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
Nhagar

i have bought both the cheap one from autozone and one from dodge dealership. I did change fluid after issue started. it is correct fluid and filled.

I will look over link and see what i find thanks nathan
Unread 04-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The kick down cable might need adjusting.
Unread 04-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Like so:
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963

Possible, but the TPS controls the kickdown (thanks, cruiser54) this is the Throttle Valve adjustment...still important.

Tim is on the right track...sounds to me like your torque converter isn't locking up...or a solenoid problem, easily fixable. I had a similar problem on my Volvo...except the OD solenoid cost me $150+
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Nhagar

well I have looked up the shifting solenoids and they seemed to be in the $125ea range and there are 3. question is replace all three and get it over with or chance it one doing just the one.

also are there cheper ones than 125ea? let me know thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.