AW4 Shifter Stuck in Neutral and Drive HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > AW4 Shifter Stuck in Neutral and Drive HELP!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
XJAl
1993 XJ Cherokee 

AW4 Shifter Stuck in Neutral and Drive HELP!

My girlfriend and I recently purchased a 1989 XJ Wagoneer Limited with an AW4 transmission and NP242 transfer case. Today, while driving it I ran into a strange issue with the transmission shift lever. Here are the symptoms:

Transmission itself shifts fine through all gears. However, I physically cannot get the shift lever to move to Park, Reverse, 3rd, 2nd or 1st gear. All I am able to select are Drive and Neutral. I have the shift lever button depressed and have applied an extreme amount of force to the shift lever and again, it physically will not move into any other gear but Drive or Neutral. The button itself does not click when depressed as it used too and it feels like the button has no resistance when depressed. Any one have any tips as to what would cause this????? I don't think it is an issue with the trans itself because as I mentioned above, the trans shifts silky smooth through every gear while driving. Just the shift lever seems to be stuck in concrete now. This is one of our daily drivers so any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

1993 XJ Sport
XJAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
waterdowg
1984 CJ7 

This may sound like a silly question but is the ignition turned off. Can you take the key out.
waterdowg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It sounds like there is something wrong with the button/linkage where the button is not engaging the release for the ratchet system. You can shift from D to N without depressing the button as a safety feature (so you can always shift into neutral in the event of unintended/runaway acceleration), the button must be depressed to shift into any other position. There is a linkage where the "T" handle meets the stick and another inside of the stick that goes to the ratchet mechanism. I'd start by pulling the "T" handle and checking there (just pull up hard it will come off). You can examine the pieces for damage/deformation and try manually pushing on the rod inside of the stick to see if it will then move. If that isn't it your best bet would likely be to get a replacement shifter from a junkyard.
dmill89 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Tap the T handle down and see if it's better. dmill89 is on the right track here.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
XJAl
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Went outside and smacked the T-bar down a few times. Problem solved. Thanks for the help guys. Glad it wasn't something more serious.
1993 XJ Sport
XJAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.