AW4 No Torque Converter Lockup, temp. slipping ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > AW4 No Torque Converter Lockup, temp. slipping ???

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

AW4 No Torque Converter Lockup, temp. slipping ???

Ok, this is a recent problem. Over the last few days i have been installing an audio system and did the rear brakes.

Problem?
The torque converter aint locking up anymore. I hear it shift into 4 but no lockup. The TPS is fairly new, and the kickdown cable hasn't been adjusted (this jeep did receive a 4x4 conversion). Tranny fluid hasn't been checked. I will report back on these few things.
Also, when i first move it, it slips moderately for about 3 seconds, then it gives a slight lurch, then it pulls fine for the rest of the day. Pulls hard enough that it will squeal 33" tires if I give it gas on a corner.

Transmission is from an 90, Jeep itself is a 96 4.0

fedx95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Some extra info, the torque converter has always locked up on demand with no fuss. It was predictable, thats how reliably it would lock. This is a recent development, over the last 3-4 days. Also, I was very low on brake fluid in these last few days (had a massive leak). And it locked when that happened. Seems like it happened the day i fixed the brakes
Unread 12-29-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is the fluid level correct?
Unread 12-29-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

tranny fluid level is correct. I must add that it is shifting remarkably smooth. Still no torque converter lockup.
Side note - i think the tps is bad, because after driving, it develops a high idle. like 1500rpm. At startup its like 1k rpms, and when its warm it does about 700rpms. Its also hunting. This is a recent development too. It never hunts. Any ideas??
Unread 12-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #5
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

If your torque converter isn't locking up and you have checked the tps, brake light sensor and made sure the fuse for the trans controller isn't blown then you might have a bad solenoid in the transmission. Mine went bad and it took about an hour for me to replace all of them and install a new filter. Right before it went out completely the converter would lock and unlock while cruising at a constant speed to where it felt like the transmission was slipping.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #6
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Did you check the brake switch?
If the tranny thinks you have your foot on the brake pedal, it won't lock up...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

How can I test the brake switch
Unread 01-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

bump
Unread 01-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #9
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

This is from the FSM for 2000. If your 96 uses the same switch it will help for testing the switch.

Alternatively, if the brake lights are on when your not on the brake, its bad.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

ok, figured it out. The brake switch was fine. Just another case of buying a crappy autozone tps. Its only a few month old and its completely useless. Today, the jeep wouldn't even move. It seemed as if the transmission in neutral. I figured it out at a gas station. So I unplugged the tps and went home in first gear the whole way. Unfortunately I don't have the box or receipt for the sensor, so im going to try to raise hell in that store.

Tags
aw4 , slipping , torque converter , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.