AW4 giving P1745 DTC . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > AW4 giving P1745 DTC .

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Chagoman_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

AW4 giving P1745 DTC .

Hi there XJ colleagues. I'm facing the same problem . Tranny works fine for 15-20 minutes. After that (assuming the tranny gets hot) it lights the MIL (Check Engine) and it runs only in 1st and 4th.

DTC is P1745 which talks about Solenoid A shorted to Voltage or open.

I went on with the diagnostic procedure and found that the solenoid was out of resistance range (it should be between 11 - 15 ohms), it was in 16,5. So I gladly replace it . Unfortunatelly the condition remained.

Next step if I continue, would be physically inspect wiring and connectors. But I don't think this is the root case.

My main suspects are the TCM and finally a tranny issue (valve body).

I will install an aftermarket tranny oil cooler with the hope it might be a temp issue. But I'm not pretty convinced about it.

Any simmilar experience for share?

All ideas are welcome as crazy as they might sound.

Thanks in advance.

Chagoman_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
xjdavid1
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Did you get that code by cycling the ingition switch or did you use a plugin diagnostic tool. I have a 95 XJ and it didnt seem to give gearbox codes.
xjdavid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 08:02 PM   #3
Chagoman_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdavid1 View Post
Did you get that code by cycling the ingition switch or did you use a plugin diagnostic tool. I have a 95 XJ and it didnt seem to give gearbox codes.
I retrieved that code using an DRB III scan tool I was able to put my hands in.
Unread 10-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
xjdavid1
1995 XJ Cherokee 

do you know if this device would do the same thing.

Automotive Scan Tool Reviews | Auto-Facts.org
xjdavid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
Chagoman_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjdavid1 View Post
do you know if this device would do the same thing.

Automotive Scan Tool Reviews | Auto-Facts.org
It will retrieve OBD II codes for sure. Now the thing with generic scantools is that you can read OBD II diagnostic info besides the DTC's, but there are going to be specific functions you can only access with the manufacturer scantool (in this case is the DRB III).

Now , unless you are in the auto service business I'd rather say that its a big investment buying one of these tools just for personal use. Maybe it will allways be cheaper pay to a service repair shop to retrieve the codes for you.

Saludos

(Edited)

P.S. I didn't watch the price before , but it seems not to be a expensive tool. In that case , go for it!!!

Good luck!
Unread 10-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
R.DesJardin
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Aw4

If only the #1 solenoid is working you would have 1st and 4th only. Here is some tech info.
Tech Info

Good Luck
R.
R.DesJardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
Chagoman_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
If only the #1 solenoid is working you would have 1st and 4th only. Here is some tech info.
Tech Info

Good Luck
R.

That's right. It enteres that mode of operation when engine temp reaches 100-103 Celsius (212-218 Fahrenheit) . Now that is the worst condition,heavy traffic and stop and go condition.

My Cooling system is working fine , Im running a Heavy Duty Engine Cooling radiator (te one which has an extra row) and using Mopar 50/50 pre diluted coolant.

To have in mind , about a month ago one of the tranny cooling lines broke down loosing ATF till the point the tranny started to slip moment which I stopped the vehicle until it got repaired. Cooling line both were replaced by brand new ones.

I suspect the tranny got hurt due to this. BUT the DTC is indicating an electronic issue. The tranny does not slip at all so my final suspects are:

-TCM
-Wiring
-Valve Body
-Extra Cooling

Well , I'll be fighting this one during the weekend and keep up here with the updates and progress .

Thanks for your concern
Unread 10-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Chagoman_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looking in depth I crossed pn of TCM and found that there are different pn according to MY .

For 1998 MY TCM pn would be 56041386AA and works only for that year.

For 1999 - 01 MY TCM pn 56041386AB and there are a couple of supersedence pn.

I assume this difference maybe due to and add on function in newer models besides the fact that newer models come with coil pack instead of distributor as mine.

Also crossing pn of tranny assemblies mine is the same pn until MY 01 so it is quite factible a tranny swap if things get too ugly.

Any experience in this one?

Thanks in advance.
Unread 10-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chagoman_XJ View Post
Looking in depth I crossed pn of TCM and found that there are different pn according to MY .

For 1998 MY TCM pn would be 56041386AA and works only for that year.

For 1999 - 01 MY TCM pn 56041386AB and there are a couple of supersedence pn.

I assume this difference maybe due to and add on function in newer models besides the fact that newer models come with coil pack instead of distributor as mine.

Also crossing pn of tranny assemblies mine is the same pn until MY 01 so it is quite factible a tranny swap if things get too ugly.

Any experience in this one?

Thanks in advance.
I'm of no help, but up here we have heard that a lot of Cherokee's down there came with a Dana model 44 front axle. If you could get your hands on some of those, that could be a very lucrative business for you, shipping them up here..
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
Chagoman_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
I'm of no help, but up here we have heard that a lot of Cherokee's down there came with a Dana model 44 front axle. If you could get your hands on some of those, that could be a very lucrative business for you, shipping them up here..
A little off topic . But I've heard of that too.

Now here in Chile all XJ entered by the Official distributor have entered with :

D 30 Front

D35 or Chrysler 8,25 Rear

Dana 44 XJ are more likely assembled in Venezuela for their local market. Ive seen a couple which were imported directly. Believe me that I was aware of that lol!

Thank you

Last edited by Chagoman_XJ; 10-09-2009 at 11:13 AM..
Unread 10-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #11
Chagoman_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Tranny finally is RIP

Ok folks. I tried everything today.:
-TCM (borrowed)
-Extra cooling
-Kick down adjust
-etc

I just have to assume it. My tranny is willing Overhauling.

I will change my tranny and open the dead one.

Sad thing though, Its the first time I see an AW4 with trouble. to be honest I deal daily with Chrysler stuff and this was one of the UN breakable trannies I knew.

Well , there's allways a first time.

I'm just trying to take it cool. (But I can't!!!!)

Should I go to Manual tranny?
Unread 10-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
Chagoman_XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok , we are standing more or less in the following situation:

Definetavely the tranny has a burnt clutch. When it gets hot due to hard driving it starts to slip causing a the DTC due to a different speed value than expected.

The rest is history.

I'm making a tranny swap and with time I will repair the faulty one and have it under my sleeve just in case.

Saludos

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.