AW4 Fluid options?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > AW4 Fluid options??

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-04-2013, 04:37 AM   #1
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

AW4 Fluid options??

OK, so I've had my 2000 XJ for about 6 months, and spent $4000 on an engine replacement (Yep, the head was cracked.) and now I am getting it ready for the summer season of fun.

I decided that a trans fluid change is in order. I know that the manual calls for Dexron 3 or Mercon. I have been to several places an cannot seem to find a reputable brand in those types anymore.

HOWEVER, I can find Mercon V all over. I did a quick Google search this morning and found thread after thread (mostly Ford user sites) that say Mercon V is compatable with Mercon/Dexron 3 applications, and is actually a better choice.

SO I AM WONDERING? Is this safe to go ahead and use in my 150,000 mile+ old AW4, or should I keep looking for the last remaining Mercon/Dexron 3 on the planet??

-------------------------------------------

ADDED NOTE: I also found a service bulletin that stated Ford quit issuing licenses for Mercon, and the last of them expired in 2007? in favor of the new Mercon V. GM did the same with Dexron 3 licenses in favor of Dexron IV. Supposedly both are to be full synthetic fluids.

dave564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

No.

Use Dex/Merc III "COMPATIBLE" fluid only in your AW4. It is the fluid that has absolutely stood the test of time with this transmission. Look for the word "compatible" as true licensed Dex/Merc III is no longer available. Don't be that concerned about the brand name.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dex/Merc III has been licensed to many manufacturers and is readily available in all major auto part stores including Walmart.
Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

As others have said Dexron III/ Mercon only. I'm suppressed you're having trouble finding it, every auto parts store near me has several different brands of DexronIII/Mercon compatible fluid avalible available.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well I haven't looked seriously for it, just a quick run through the local AutoZone and Advance. I did find it, but in their store brands. I have had a bad experience using non name brands of oils before, so I try to avoid it. I also prefer to run synthetics if possible.
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave564 View Post
Well I haven't looked seriously for it, just a quick run through the local AutoZone and Advance. I did find it, but in their store brands. I have had a bad experience using non name brands of oils before, so I try to avoid it. I also prefer to run synthetics if possible.
I have been running Amsoil synthetic since 30k on my 99XJ. Now at 160k. Shifts silky smooth. Amsoil universal synthetic is Dex/Merc III compatible.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
LAjeep
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I did the first of several drain/fills last weekend on newly aquired 2000 XJ. I was able to find a gallon of Walmart brand Dexron III for $11 but they only had one. Everywhere else I've checked, its 4.99-5.99 per quart for name brand. sure wish I could find some more Walmart stuff. Have they quit making it? I believe it's Super Tech brand.

2006 KJ CRD... sold 4-21-2012
LAjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well I guess I will be the gunnea pig then.

After quite a bit of research I decided to go ahead and use Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc. It is compatible with Dexron IV and below, Mercon LV and below. Everything I read said that you can upgrade any application that calls for Dexron 1 2 3, Or mercon of any kind to Dexron IV/Mercon LV, BUT YOU CANNOT take a trans that requires the IV/LV and go down to a Dex 2/3.

You can go back and forth on grades in a Dex123/Mercon trans as you wish with no worries.

I changed mine, filter too, over the weekend. I drive about 70 miles round trip to work. So far 210+ miles, never shifted better, no problems to report.
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Oh yea, I also changed the T-case with the same stuff too.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.