AW4 Fluid Capacity - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > AW4 Fluid Capacity

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #1
Agent 000
Secret Agent Man

1998 XJ Cherokee 

AW4 Fluid Capacity

I need to try to correct a problem with the transmission on my 98 XJ. I've got a Check Engine light on, and it keeps reading the Transmission Shift Module when I get it checked. This morning on my way to work, the transmission would not shift into overdrive (never had this problem before). Before I spend hundreds of dollars trying to correct this, I'm going to try the cheap method first. When I check my transmission fluid level, I cannot ever get a good reading when it's at operating temperature. I'm concerned about the fluid level being the cause, as I've got a leak in one of the transmission cooling lines (yes, I know, replace the line). What I want to do is drain the transmission tonight, and then refill with the proper level of transmission fluid, and see if that makes it work.

What I need to know, is what is the proper amount of transmission fluid to add, after draining the transmission (only puling the drain plug, not dropping the pan and replacing the filter)? Or, if there is something else I missing,please let me know what to check, or what to do. Thanks!

Chili Pepper Red 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Agent 000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Automatic Transmission

4.0L AW4 - Drain and Re-fill about 3 to 4 Quarts (3.8L) Mopar ATF or equivalent Transmission Fluid labeled Dexron III/Mercon.

Filter and complete fluid exchange - 8 Quarts (7.8 L)

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 08-22-2008 at 09:03 AM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Agent 000
Secret Agent Man

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for the information. Changed out the old fluid, put some hose clamps on the leaking cooling line fitting, and it seemed to do the trick.

Old fluid was beginning to develop a brownish red tint, rather than bright red, so not sure how long it had been in the transmission (I've owned the XJ for 21,000 miles now). Took it out on the road, the overdrive is working again, and the check engine light is off. This weekend, I'm going to pull the NSS off, clean it, regrease it, and that should solve it's problems.

Unread 08-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you didn't do a 100% fluid change, drain the pan and add more fresh fluid in about a week. Do that again in another week and you will have drained almost all the old nasty fluid. Brown or burned smelling fluid is not good.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Agent 000
Secret Agent Man

1998 XJ Cherokee 

For sure, figure while I'm at it, will try to replace the bad cooling line at the same time (will have to stop at NAPA to order one).

Just couldn't bring myself to pick up the store brand ATF, opted for the Castrol (was on sale for the same price as the Advance Auto brand). Figured it would do a better job of cleaning the transmission passages. Will have to pick up a few more quarts this weekend.

Unread 08-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #6
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I can never get a good reading on mine either.

When I drain I measure exactly how much came out. That's how much goes back in.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Another drain/refill is a very good idea. I just did mine and got a bit over 3 quarts out of it by just draining the pan. I started it briefly and moved the shift lever through all of the gears VERY quickly while up on the ramps and that brought the total fluid replacement to about 4 quarts.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Automatic transmissions with dipsticks are filled by DIPSTICK READING, NOT by stated capacity. The stated capacity is only a GUIDELINE for how much to use on refill.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 06:08 AM   #9
L20KEV
1998 XJ Cherokee 

if going from DexII to III, do u need to do a full change or can they mix by doing a quick drain&fill?
L20KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 07:41 AM   #10
smokingun45
2001 XJ Cherokee 

YMMV, but I drained and refilled (thru the drain plug) my AW-4 six times to clear the tranny of most of the old fluid and each time it used +/- 2.5 quarts af DEX. I bought Shell DEX III as it is a name brand and was also the least expensive. Good Luck!
smokingun45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
jjg214
2001 XJ Cherokee 

ok, well what are the ramifications if i use the drain refill drain refill etc etc method, and the PO had ATF 4 in the transmission instead of the dex/merc which is the right fluid, that im putting in?
jjg214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #12
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Doing the drain refill, run, drain, refill, run for three or four times will get the most of it out.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #13
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
Doing the drain refill, run, drain, refill, run for three or four times will get the most of it out.
Statistically, five drain and refills of the pan, with running in between, will result in about 95% new transmission fluid being present, with only about 5% of the bad stuff still circulating in the system.

For Sale to Good Home---2000 XJ Factory Service Manual (Printed Version) PM for details.
Unread 02-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #14
jjg214
2001 XJ Cherokee 

i plan on using that method, let me clarify my question... is there adverse affects from mixing ATF and Dex/Merc in this process? because i am putting dex/merc in there but i have no idea what the previous owner or shop he took it to put in it. i would hope its no ATF but you never know.
jjg214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #15
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg214 View Post
i plan on using that method, let me clarify my question... is there adverse affects from mixing ATF and Dex/Merc in this process? because i am putting dex/merc in there but i have no idea what the previous owner or shop he took it to put in it. i would hope its no ATF but you never know.
There should be no adverse effects from mixing types of ATF. Just drain and replace enough to insure that almost all the old crud is gone.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.