Automatic transmission wont shift automaticly - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Automatic transmission wont shift automaticly

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
for_givn

Automatic transmission wont shift automaticly

My automatic transmission wont shift automatically, It is stuck in Overdrive unless I shift it manually from 1st to 2nd to drive. Manually shifting is fine and no problems with the tranny but when left in drive when i start to drive it is in overdrive and I have to drop it in 1st and manually shift it as I drive. Anyone know why? It is a 1992 Jeep 4.0.

Last edited by for_givn; 12-04-2009 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: more info
for_givn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
598BBC
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Possibly the TCM.. Transmission control Module, located behind the glovebox, I had a similar problem and that was the cause.. there is a way to test it, you will have to search the forums for it.. hope this helps.
F-toy on Links 2.6 stroker, 4 sticks, rolling on 39" red labels, running on pane...95 YJ 4.0 A/T, 60s frnt and rear,4.56s,w/ ARBs, Atlas 4.3, 37" BFG Red labels, Full Black Diamond cage,.... 47 CJ2A 110"wb, 598bbc for power, 2spd glide, 17" travel, and a blast in the Dunes...
598BBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Most likely cause is the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), especially if you recently crossed any deep water, ran a mud pit, or washed the engine. Test the TPS.

TPS Test

You should have 5 volts going into the TPS. At idle, TPS output voltage must be greater than 200 millivolts. At wide open throttle (WOT), TPS output voltage must be less than 4.8 volts.. The best is to use an analog meter (not digital) to see if the transition from idle to WOT is smooth with no dead spots. With your meter set for volts, put the black probe on a good ground like your negative battery terminal. With the key on, engine not running, test with the red probe of your meter (install a paper clip into the back of the plug of the TPS) to see which wire has the 5 volts. One of the other wires should show .26V (or so). The other wire will be the ground and should show no voltage. Move the throttle and look for smooth meter response up to the 4.49 at WOT.

Perform the test procedure again and wiggle and/or tap on the TPS while you watch the meter. If you notice any flat spots or abrupt changes in the meter readings, replace the TPS.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Do the 1992s have the TCU fuse taped up under the passenger side dash like the older models? If so, check there.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.