Automatic Transmission Fluid Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
BuckinByers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

Hey all,

Real quick I was wondering if there is anything crucial I should know before I do this myself. I know I take off the pan, drain the fluid and back on again, but isn't there more to it? Do I need to replace a gasket? Thanks.

BuckinByers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
MJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckinByers View Post
Hey all,

Real quick I was wondering if there is anything crucial I should know before I do this myself. I know I take off the pan, drain the fluid and back on again, but isn't there more to it? Do I need to replace a gasket? Thanks.
Ah AW4 has a drain plug, you don't need to pull the pan unless it's leaking. The filter is just a screen and it doesn't need to be replaced. Also if you do pull the pan reseal it with RTV silicone and not a gasket, those things always leak and why the factory uses RTV. And oh man it can be fun to mess with that dipstick tube if it's been in there a while too.

I'd stick with Dextron ATF even though I have heard jokingly the AW4 would probably run on motor oil.

Last edited by MJR; 06-28-2009 at 04:17 PM..
MJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckinByers View Post
Hey all,

Check out theTech/FAQ and TSB section at the top of the Cherokee home page. found the link for you. http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAutoService.htm

1992 black Renegade
4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 33x12.50 BFG KM 2's A to Z fabrication front and rear bumpers and cage
1994 YJ Sahara Project Bean
2000 Jeep Cherokee Stock
AtoZ Fabrications www.atozfabrication.com
Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance www.bmja.org
Delaware jeep Association www.delawareja.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Screw the HOA. More guys just need to start doing man things in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Jeeps are like mistresses, they take all your money, but boy what a ride!
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Use dextron/mercon, do not use ATF+4.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
BuckinByers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks so much for the help, I appreciate it.
Unread 06-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #6
Ac1d

use dextron, I've also heard good things about the lucas transmission fix. Supposed to help repair damaged bands and other internal components. If you use it just be sure to put it in first. It takes forever to poor in though, has a honey like consistency.
Ac1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
lathan888
1993 XJ Cherokee 

dropping the pan will be quite a larger job than you might imagine. The back bolts near the crossmember are near impossible to get and then you have to separate the dip stick tube....
Owner of a 1 owner 93 XJ county trim, 4.0, AT, 8.25 rear and 3.5 gears. It has goodies like pw/pl, cc, tilt, cd changer, keyless entry, rear wiper and defrost...overall a nice old jeep, my fifth owning previous wanglers and commander
[/COLOR] also own/restored a 1972 Pontiac Lemans GT originally owned by my grandmom....39k original miles.
my 72 pontiac musclecar
lathan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2009, 04:13 AM   #8
UKJeepThang
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Don't bother dropping the pan unless you plan to change the filter. I changed my filter at 60k and it was a real PITA to remove and reinstall the pan. Especially the dipstick tube!! I'm not changing it again in a hurry!! Just drain the pan and replace the fluid once a month for three months. After three months you will have changed all the fluid in the system.
RE 4.5 inch superflex lift, RE GEN2 disconnects, 15x8 Crager 352's, 33x12.5x15 BFG MT, ARB Lockers Front and Rear, 4.56 Diffs, Cut & Tap Short Shaft Conversion, CV Rear Prop, B&M Transmission Cooler and Gauge, Bushwackers Cut-Outs, Skid Row Armor, AJ's SuperRails, LeBaron Hood Vents, KargoMaster Rack, Safari Snorkel, KC Daylighters, Midland CB, Brantz Navigation
Loads a mud!!
UKJeepThang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So you guys are just changing what's in the pan? What about the other half of the fluid that's in the converter and the cooling system?

And why not use ATF+4? When I worked at the Jeep dealer that's what we put in everything.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #10
MJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 ton yj View Post
So you guys are just changing what's in the pan? What about the other half of the fluid that's in the converter and the cooling system?

And why not use ATF+4? When I worked at the Jeep dealer that's what we put in everything.
They are changing the cleanable filter screen too along with whatever additional fluid drains out.

Beleive it or not that is how transmissions were serviced before fluid exchange/flush machines.

And because Dextron is the correct fluid to use and it's what I hand out at the dealer when one needs to be serviced. I have heard one of the old Jeep guys jokingly say you could probably run a AW4 on motor oil it's such a good trans but I will always stick to Dextron and yes there is a difference. Each transmission uses a specific fluid for the friction material used in it's clutches for a reason.

Last edited by MJR; 06-30-2009 at 08:56 AM..
MJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #11
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

In my buggy with a 700R4 I just pull the line coming back to the trans from the cooler, let the engine idle in nuetral and pour fresh fluid down the dipstick into the pan while the pump pushes out the old fluid into a drain pan. When fresh fluid comes out of the cooler I hook the line back up and check the fluid level. It's a little messy but gets all the old fluid out.

Is there any reason why that wouldn't work in a cherokee? Only way I ever did on Jeeps at the dealer is with a flush machine.
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR View Post
Ah AW4 has a drain plug, you don't need to pull the pan unless it's leaking. The filter is just a screen and it doesn't need to be replaced. Also if you do pull the pan reseal it with RTV silicone and not a gasket, those things always leak and why the factory uses RTV. And oh man it can be fun to mess with that dipstick tube if it's been in there a while too.

I'd stick with Dextron ATF even though I have heard jokingly the AW4 would probably run on motor oil.

I've got to say i totally disagree with this. Absolutely is worth dropping the pan, cleaning the magnet and changing the filter. Never, ever use RTV on an auto transmission. Even a tiny chunk breaking off inside can be detrimental. I have never had a problem with a good pan and a cork gasket.

Edit: Only use Mercon/Dexron III in the AW4. It's a Toyota transmission. Don't spend extra money to give your Jeep the wrong fluid.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
MJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
I've got to say i totally disagree with this. Absolutely is worth dropping the pan, cleaning the magnet and changing the filter. Never, ever use RTV on an auto transmission. Even a tiny chunk breaking off inside can be detrimental. I have never had a problem with a good pan and a cork gasket.

Edit: Only use Mercon/Dexron III in the AW4. It's a Toyota transmission. Don't spend extra money to give your Jeep the wrong fluid.
Really funny stuff there. The factory uses RTV and specifies using it not only on the AW4 but more than a few other transmissions in Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles. I can't tell you how many gaskets come into the dealer leaking and we fix them by using the specified factory RTV. How often does RTV get sucked through the filter? LOL.

Oh and for the record I hate when people say the AW4 is a Toyota transmission. Aisin Warner is a seperate company with part ownership by Toyota but they use it in more than Toyotas and Jeeps. Mitsubishi has used it and probably others too. That's a bit like saying that trans in the BMW Z3 is a Chrysler trans just because it's made by New Venture Gear which is partly owned by Chrysler and GM.
Unread 06-30-2009, 02:16 PM   #14
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJR View Post
Really funny stuff there. The factory uses RTV and specifies using it not only on the AW4 but more than a few other transmissions in Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles. I can't tell you how many gaskets come into the dealer leaking and we fix them by using the specified factory RTV. How often does RTV get sucked through the filter? LOL.

Oh and for the record I hate when people say the AW4 is a Toyota transmission. Aisin Warner is a seperate company with part ownership by Toyota but they use it in more than Toyotas and Jeeps. Mitsubishi has used it and probably others too. That's a bit like saying that trans in the BMW Z3 is a Chrysler trans just because it's made by New Venture Gear which is partly owned by Chrysler and GM.
Agree to disagree. The AW4 is more Toyota than it is Chrysler, and while it wasn't manufactured for Toyotas, it helps clear it up when someone asks why a Chrysler of the same vintage use ATF+4 but the AW4 does not.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
BuckinByers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

wow guys. im glad this is hot discussion, and even after all of the debate, i think im gonna pull the pan off and replace the filter and use dextron. sorry if that disappoints anyone.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.