Auto Door Lock Cold Weather Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Auto Door Lock Cold Weather Issue

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
goodkid1

Auto Door Lock Cold Weather Issue

Hi Guys: My electrical door locks on a '95 Cherokee became sluggish 6 months ago, so I stripped the doors down in order to lubricate the internal mechanical parts. All went well and the problem was fixed. However, instead of sailing in Newport Beach CA, as I did yesterday, I am now two hours drive away, and deer hunting at 8000 feet and it is COLD!! (Ya GOTTA love southern California) The old problem is back and the door locks won't move enough to allow the outside handles to release the door latches. The manual lock/unlock plastic buttons are sluggish, but even after giving them a manual assist, the internal handle will open the door, but the outside handle refuses to move the "innards" enough to release the latch. I THINK I used white lithium grease to lube the door's internal and external parts, probably with a squirt of WD-40 for good measure. Does anyone have knowledge for a more durable and long lasting fix? Is there a more temperature tolerant lube, or should I be looking for other problems? Any Jeep worth her salt should work her buttons below freezing as well as at the beach. Thanks in advance for your advice.

goodkid1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in a similar state, but I haven't done the work you have (yet).
My driver door lock will work properly with the key, but when it's cold, the remote fails to motivate the lock properly.
If i try to open the door, it's still locked. After a second unlock from the remote, it will then open.
I'm presuming the motor is failing, or the works are gummed up.
Will be watching to see how yours gets resolved...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
blackcar87
1994 XJ Cherokee 

All of mine stick in the cold, I have had all of the doors apart at some time or another and have worked on all the mechs added grease to know avail. Back doors are worse than the front. The front usually lock but the backs move about half way then stop. If you pulled the back door pretty hard with it locked it would open. Found this out the hard way when I went out of town one weekend and came back to wires hanging out of the dash!

"Do you know about Tyler Durden?"
blackcar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #4
blackcar87
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Oh yeah the door lock motor is riveted to the door. Mine was real loose. It looked like the motor itself was moving up and down. So I drilled out the rivets and replaced with bolts. Did not really change any thing. All of the motors are orig. from 94 so I think they are just weak.

"Do you know about Tyler Durden?"
blackcar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
goodkid1

I THINK my motors are OK, as after I re-lubed 6 months ago, all door handles and locks were perfect again....."like buddah". And they are fine now in Santa Monica warmth (winter: 68 degree average high temp). But in the mountains, at about 35 degree mornings? Fahget abouddit. Local warm weather dealers have no answers. I am originally from Boston, have owned Jeeps there, and had no problems. I just can't come up with working solution in cold weather now. Thanks for replies.
goodkid1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I learned something interesting when I went through a similar issue before. A lot of lubricants you would be quick to use in these mechanisms have a tendency to stiffen in cold weather and also with age. The best solution is to clean everything thoroughly with denatured alcohol and then lubricate with a lead based lubricant... Worked perfectly for me.

Good luck
macklamar is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The locking and latching mechanisms should be thoroughly cleaned with Throttle Body Cleaner spray. WD-40 is neither a cleaner nor a lubricant, it does however dry to a sticky gooey dirt attracting film.

For Minnesota winters and door lubrication, I prefer BreakFree CLP gun oil. It lubricates under harsh conditions and contains a cleaning agent that continues to work long after it is applied.

If you still have issues, make sure the lock solenoids are receiving full voltage and have good solid grounds. Anything like corrosion, loose wire plugs, and poor ground connections will reduce the current available to activate the solenoids.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
copmedic309
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Break free! Best for your glock and your locks.

Ry
Better tried by 12, then carried by 6.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.