ATF/acetone vs. PB Blaster or others - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > ATF/acetone vs. PB Blaster or others

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
dover21
2007 JK Wrangler 

ATF/acetone vs. PB Blaster or others

I know a ton of you guys use PB Blaster like it's going out of style, but which do you think actually has better results? I haven't tried the atf/acetone mix yet, but I've read others who swear by it. I kinda like the smell of pbb but I want to try the atf/acetone. Also, doesn't it seem more cost effective to have the mix instead of using an aerosol can which doesn't hold much?

dover21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Rollin
2005 WK 

PB Blaster=ok. A 50/50 mix of acetone & ATF=Best Ever! Here's the cold, hard facts from the April/May 2007 edition of Machinist's Workshop. They did a test of penetrating oils where they measured the force required to loosen rusty test devices. Buy the issue if you want to see how they did the test. The results reported were interesting. The lower the number of pounds the better.

Penetrating oil . Average load .. Price per fluid ounce
None ................. 516 pounds .
WD-40 .............. 238 pounds .. $0.25
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
Kano Kroil ........ 106 pounds .. $0.75
ATF-Acetone mix.. 53 pounds .. $0.10

From another thread

Imported from Detroit
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
BChance0975
2004 TJ Wrangler 

KANO Labs Kroil/AeroKroil...

Best penetrating oil you can get.
BChance0975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 03:10 AM   #4
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Kroil is the best on the market...but not cheap. However, the atf/acetone sounds interesting...will give it a try.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 04:33 AM   #5
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin View Post
PB Blaster ......... 214 pounds .. $0.35
Liquid Wrench ... 127 pounds .. $0.21
So this is saying that Liquid Wrench is better than PB Blaster? I hope so because I've always used Liquid Wrench and have been thinking about getting some PB Blaster because I hear it a lot on here. Guess I'm staying with my old favorite...Liquid Wrench!
nrpalmer32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
kboyts
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I used to be a strictly PB blaster kinda guy. Read that other thread about the ATF/acetone. So I went to harbor freight and bought a refillable aeresol can, and mixed some up. Been spraying it on my bumper and power steering box bolts in preperation for my new bumper. We'll see how well it works out.

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
kboyts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
GreenLanternXJ
1975 CJ5 

I am going to have to try atf/acetone. I use acetone all the time in the lab and it is awesome.
Unread 05-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #8
Rmart30

Cant say how it works Ive always used PB but ive known a cpl of older guys who used brake fluid
Rmart30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
HoosierDaddyTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I like PB Blaster. I love Deep Creep by seafoam. It is pricy but I have no reservations about ruining anything with it.

Being an Auto Shop Teacher, I spray everyting in the shop with penetrating oil before every summer to prevent rust and Deep Creep has been the best so far.

I am going to try ATF/Acetone for sure, the price is unbeatable.

I wave at other Jeeps and get my feelings hurt if they don't wave back.

99 TJ 4.0L ALL BLACK, 2 in RE BB and 32X10.50 Super Swamper TSL Radials
HoosierDaddyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
hidperf
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I used to be a PB Blaster guy, in fact I have about 6 cans on my shelf. Then I tried BG Products penetrating oil. Beats PB hands down.
hidperf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Acetones pretty bad for you I hear, I would definately wanna be careful handling and touching that stuff. I know PB blaster can eat through cups so would there be anything wrong with putting the ATF/Acetone mixture in a plastic spritzy bottle?

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

I don't know about the rest, but PB Blaster came to my rescue recently. I was replacing the driveshaft u-joints on a co-worker's TJ. I tried hammering them, even bent the handle on a bench vice to no avail. I remembered buying a can of PB Blaster, and squirted some around the outside of the caps. 2 minutes and a hammer whack later, the u-joints came out no problem.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #13
Prosonic
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The numbers speak for themselves here. I too was once a PB blaster user, I still do on ocassion, but I gave the ATF/acetone mix a try and it is now my choice of penetrating oil.
The only problem with it, is the two seperate pretty quickly. So, you're constantly shaking the bottle, but that's a small inconvenience for the performance of the mixture.
Unread 04-16-2010, 06:15 PM   #14
ksander
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compcrasher86 View Post
Acetones pretty bad for you I hear, I would definitely wanna be careful handling and touching that stuff. I know PB blaster can eat through cups so would there be anything wrong with putting the ATF/Acetone mixture in a plastic spritzy bottle?
Actually, acetone is really not very bad for you at all. It is fairly non-toxic and is non-carcinogenic, remember it is just nail polish remover. However, definitely don't drink it and I wouldn't stand over a concentrated bottle and breathe the vapors. Also it is a very mild skin irritant but it is so volatile that if you spill some on you it will be gone before you can wipe it off. But I would rinse your skin with some water.
Also it is fine to put it in a "spritzy bottle" and that is what I do. Every organic lab in the country uses acetone in a plastic bottle as a solvent.
Unread 04-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #15
Jeepjet
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BChance0975 View Post
KANO Labs Kroil/AeroKroil...

Best penetrating oil you can get.
X10 You bet I'm used to the Sila-Kroil label can an it hands down beat them all. You would have to contact an FBO (fixed base operator) at your local airport or maybe online. If you have no luck pm me and I'll shoot ya the place we buy it from witch I believe is Avial. They only sell to shops. Ken
2012 JK Sport, Deep Cherry Red , 3.6 Penastar, 5 spd. auto, 3:21's, 285/70x17 DuraTrac's , Teraflex leveling kit, U.S. Alloy 1.5 spacers, ACE rock sliders, Rugged Ridge front dif skid, quadratec mats, K&N element,+80 headlamps...
Jeepjet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.