APN or Dorman exhaust manifold? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > APN or Dorman exhaust manifold?

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 09-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #1
K-R
1998 XJ Cherokee 

APN or Dorman exhaust manifold?

Guys, I want to replace my exhaust manifold on my 1998 XJ with 200K (I'm doing motor mounts as well) and am torn between using a Dorman or an APN. I don't off road much, but I like squeezing all the power I can out of the Jeep for the interstate...

Anyhow, here are the pics:

APN:

Dorman:

Unread 09-08-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

APN. Google APN or use the Forum search function. I have installed 2 APN on my Jeep fleet so far.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
K-R
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If CJ-7 Tim says buy APN, thats all I need to know! On the phone with them now, thanks!

What about that flex pipe deal? do I need that? do they make it in 2.25" i saw a 2.5" one... thanks again!
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think the flex-pipe is a good idea and will probably be installed on my next APN project.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
ornery_owl
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The APN manifolds are nice. I personally went with the Dorman because I got one brand new for $110 shipped on ebay. Haven't had any problems with it.
ornery_owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 10:40 AM   #6
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I have not had an APN header but a Thorsen header I bought cracked in about a year. The Dorman manifold I have now (like your picture) is the only exhaust mainfold I have ever put on the XJ which has not cracked.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #7
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Dunno if they'll fit - the APN looks like it's twice as big as the Dorman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-R View Post
What about that flex pipe deal? do I need that? do they make it in 2.25" i saw a 2.5" one... thanks again!
Which "flex pipe deal" is that? Replace a section of hard exhaust with a matching flex pipe? That was on my to-do list with my last 96 XJ (http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/whitejeep.html) and was on the to-do for the current one, but now I'm thinking of selling and getting an '06 LJ Unlimited instead...
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
CDX74
1999 XJ Cherokee 

APN worked for me, but I did have to do a fair bit of "adjusting" to get it to fit in with the intake manifold.
TnT Long Arms, Rough Country Shackle Relocation Kit, RE coils and leaf springs from 4.5" kit, ORO U-turn steering, AA SYE, 4.56 Superior gears, OME Shocks, Heavy Duty adjustable track bar, NP231, 33" TrXus MT, Hella headlights w/ IPF Fatboys, Monitor Lizard Front Bumper, Hanson read bumper w/ tyre carrier, AirFlow Snorkel, ARB Air Lockers front & rear, Brown Dog engine mounts, Kilby gas tank skid
My CarDomain page
CDX74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #9
K-R
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yucca-man View Post

Which "flex pipe deal" is that? Replace a section of hard exhaust with a matching flex pipe? That was on my to-do list with my last 96 XJ ...
something like this, i don't know what diameter to get or where it should go, though:

Unread 09-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
K-R
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well, i am putting on the APN, a 99 intake manifold (i have an 98 xj) and dodge neon injectors at the same time. i'll let you guys know if i can pop a wheelie when i get done with it :-)
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
Stang_Man
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I've heard a little here and there on the injectors, are they a bolt-on affair for a '93 as well? Worthwhile investment?
Stang_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
K-R
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Stang man, I'll let u know... one thing though is i wasn't able to clean the neon ones, i hope that doesn't effect them much. from what i've read (and i've read tons on the subject), it's a mixed bag on results, pretty much. sort of like political discourse, you kind of pick out the posts that agree with the way you want it to be like :-)
Unread 09-08-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
K-R
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well i drove my xj with the new brown dog motor mounts and new oem transmission mounts tonight, definitely like the feel of it. it feels like it has more power to me and maybe its louder... one of my old mounts was broken too, so thanks for the always good JF advice on that. i got the rubber brown dogs, now, because i like the feel of it, i kind of wishing i had gotten poly. anyhow, the takeaway from this blurb if you are reading it is that motor mounts make the jeep feel better, like a hot rod ;-)
Unread 09-08-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Loved the '99 manifold in my '96. I went with F5TE-24lb injectors from Fiveomotorsport.com (hope I can make that link without violating rulez) with that as well.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

how about motor mounts ?????? a few guys said dont get poly to stiff and will feel engine vib. just get the regular rubber ones?
02grandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.