Anyone Swapped a 5.0L Ford Into a Cherokee? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 05-22-2016, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
mark1305

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone Swapped a 5.0L Ford Into a Cherokee?

I mistakenly posted this in the YJ forum before I realized I had switched forums.
Looked through the engine swap threads didn't see this option. If a Chevy 350 will fit, the Ford 5.0 will have plenty of room. I have even seen one in a Volvo station wagon that had plenty of room for the engine and 5 speed from a Mustang GT.

Anyone ever done or seen this swap? I'm specifically thinking of the swap for a 2000 2WD 4 door Sport (like my daughter drives. ) and using the matching Ford automatic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-22-2016, 12:48 PM
shooptube
Bumpstops? HAHAHAH

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
I mistakenly posted this in the YJ forum before I realized I had switched forums.
Looked through the engine swap threads didn't see this option. If a Chevy 350 will fit, the Ford 5.0 will have plenty of room. I have even seen one in a Volvo station wagon that had plenty of room for the engine and 5 speed from a Mustang GT.

Anyone ever done or seen this swap? I'm specifically thinking of the swap for a 2000 2WD 4 door Sport (like my daughter drives. ) and using the matching Ford automatic.
Just because the engine fits and you can get it running doesn't mean it will be easy. You would have to either get an adaptor to mate the motor and jeep trans or use all ford drive train and make new mounts for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

Vaginal condoms. I wheel a minivan.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-22-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
mark1305

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, but I know that. Been wrenching since the mid 1960s. Done some interesting swaps and attempted some others. And Novak is my friend when it comes to thoughts like these.

But even though I have enough fabricating tools in the shop, there are some old axioms that begin to come into play at my age.... like motorcyclists only have so many high sides in them (BTDT), hot rodders only have so many engine pulls in them (kind of BTDT). Such a swap may come to pass, or may not. But I do like my daughter's XJ and could see it with a Ford power train in my daydreams.

So, anyone done or seen it?
post #4 of 15 Old 05-23-2016, 03:04 PM
75SV1

Some one did a Comanche years ago. It was a yellow one. I don't remember what year. The '86 had a shorter engine bay. It was one of the nicer MJs back then. I think it was sold. I do see a MJ in WV the same color. Keep wanting to stop and check it out.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-23-2016, 06:37 PM
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

A more interesting swap is a Lexus V8 which utilised the same basic transmission. This swap is fairly recent in the scheme of things but it has been completed so do a search on the 'net.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-24-2016, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
mark1305

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimaXJ View Post
A more interesting swap is a Lexus V8 which utilised the same basic transmission. This swap is fairly recent in the scheme of things but it has been completed so do a search on the 'net.
Interesting alternative. I'd been tunnel visioned on small block Fords since I've had a few, know how to work on them, and love their sound. But I see now there are alternatives that could simplify such a swap - if it comes to pass.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-24-2016, 10:47 AM
bluejunior
Hold my beer

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure about the 5.0, but several configurations of the sbc swap need a cowl hood just to clear everything, it's TIGHT. Also keep in mind the power involved, some of the 5.0 configurations are really pretty disappointing in power (some of the explorer ones for example) but they can be beasts if set up properly. The XJ's unibody is NOT set up for that kind of power, it's a bloody tissue box. You're not JUST talking about custom gauges and custom mounts for everything, you're talking thought-out unibody reinforcement to help fight the torsion an engine like that could apply unless you want to do it again in a couple years after your pretzel the body.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-24-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
mark1305

1989 YJ Wrangler 

XJs are pretty new to me. I didn't realize they were on the flexible side. I used to have a Lincoln MK VII LSC which had the same basic engine as the Mustang GT of that era including the stainless steel tubular headers. Even those cars, if seriously drag raced (or even road raced), benefitted from subframe connectors welded to the floor pan and to front and rear subframes. I see from your sig line stiffeners are not out of the norm for XJs.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-24-2016, 11:16 AM
bluejunior
Hold my beer

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
XJs are pretty new to me. I didn't realize they were on the flexible side. I used to have a Lincoln MK VII LSC which had the same basic engine as the Mustang GT of that era including the stainless steel tubular headers. Even those cars, if seriously drag raced (or even road raced), benefitted from subframe connectors welded to the floor pan and to front and rear subframes. I see from your sig line stiffeners are not out of the norm for XJs.
Reinforcement of the frame "rails" is pretty common, in my case the rails running under the passenger area are plated over with 3/16". It helps a lot with limiting body flex when the suspension is really flexing but it doesn't really help with torsional rigidity much. A good belly pan and some of those stiff, heavy aftermarket bumpers front and rear (or a good hitch in the rear for that matter) would certainly help with that, giving you a stiffer crossmember front, middle and rear but it's not perfect.

Keep in mind the XJ was one of the first ever wagon unibodies, it was a testing bed. A Liberty's unibody is nearly 10x as strong from all the learnings they took from the XJ.

These sorts of things can and have been done but a good welder is critical to making them last.

Hell I think JP magazine made a 700ish HP XJ with a heavily modified (5.0 stroker + turbo) 4.0L block. It's just not necessarily easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-26-2016, 04:36 PM
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The difference in size between a small block bowtie & a small block blue oval is noticeable with the latter the smaller of the two. Remember that with the help of good 'ol Shel that the Sunbeam Tiger came into existence with a 260 version. Seen them with the 289 & 302. I can attest to the need in the XJ to tie everything together if going for big horsepower gains. Was amazed in the difference when I had my frame hitch off for a while. Glad to have it installed again!
post #11 of 15 Old 05-26-2016, 05:23 PM
75SV1

The SBF line started with a 240. I don't remember any or not much of a hood scoop on the yellow MJ. The 351W does have more height. Some swap those in the early Broncos. They do use a hood scoop. I think most of the '80s cars needed body reinforncement with any power upgrades, Mustangs and Camaros.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-26-2016, 05:27 PM
bluejunior
Hold my beer

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75SV1 View Post
The SBF line started with a 240. I don't remember any or not much of a hood scoop on the yellow MJ. The 351W does have more height. Some swap those in the early Broncos. They do use a hood scoop. I think most of the '80s cars needed body reinforncement with any power upgrades, Mustangs and Camaros.
hood mods for small block XJ's are usually a result of the accessories on the front. Guys that use LS's often don't have to do it. Guys that use the more torque-focused LT versions (which does make sense for a jeep) usually do to clear everything.

Could go either way on the ford I suppose, I'm not too familiar with their setup and it would depend on several factors anyway, like how the fabbed engine/tranny mounts left everything sitting.

post #13 of 15 Old 05-26-2016, 07:39 PM
Starboard M

I assume we are talking about the earlier 302 5.0 and not the newer Coyote 5.0?

While its not specific to the XJ, here is the TOTM on Pirate for this swap.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...ine-swaps.html

If you are only swapping a stock 5.0, I would think you might be disapointed in the power output. However, those engines have a massive aftermarket following with the Foxbody Mustang guys doing lots of power adders, so the potential is there. Whats the $$ of that power compared to a LSx engine or even a Chevy 350, I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaHunter View Post
Honestly, its dicks like you that make unnecessary comments via the internet that have no impact what so ever.

==
==
post #14 of 15 Old 05-26-2016, 11:17 PM
ou2mame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimaXJ View Post
Is that the v8 from the 4runner? If so that would be an interesting engine in the xj. I have no idea how you would work on it stuffed in there lol.. That's the problem with putting big engines in little vehicles. You end up pulling the engine to do simple work.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk
post #15 of 15 Old 05-27-2016, 02:06 AM
bluejunior
Hold my beer

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
Is that the v8 from the 4runner? If so that would be an interesting engine in the xj. I have no idea how you would work on it stuffed in there lol.. That's the problem with putting big engines in little vehicles. You end up pulling the engine to do simple work.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk
I just really wonder if someone got one in and running only to realize they couldn't get to the oil filter for the first change lol.

Personally I'd rather stroke my XJ, but I want the ease of install/mating to electronics and whatnot and only want a relatively little boost for towing. SBC or a tuned 5.0 would be overkill for me by a long shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.