Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

to anyone that has yakima racks...

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  AttilaHun 
#1 ·
i bought mine with no keys... and it has locks.

i called yakima and they said i need a master key to get the lock cylinder out so i can get the serial number on the side and get a key... and they are out of master keys for 4 weeks!

can anyone make me a copy or something and i'll pay for everything plus a few dollars?

#4 ·
If the locks are unlocked, then all you need is the "master" which is nothing but a key blank. you may be able to find one at a well equiped locksmith or camping store.

#5 ·
the "master key" isnt a key that opens all yakima locks it only opens your locks but it also removes the lock cores.unlike the normal key that just unlocks it. when your order your master key from yakima it has a number that corrisponds with your lock that they keep on file in their computer that makes the keys. i work at a bike shop that sells them we deal with this alot. most the time we end up drilling it out. and putting new lock cores in it.

EDIT
the thing about getting the serial number is actualy impossible unless you have your master key to pull the lock core out.... kinda sucks you need the key to get the core out but you need the core out to get the key.

#6 ·
I bought a yakima rack at a junk yard with no keys. I bent the plastic flap to the side and turned the handle enought to expose the phillips screw that held the lock mechanism on. Unscrewed it and the rack cam off. The reversed the procedure to put it on my jeep. Basically the key is pointless, on this model anyways.

#7 ·
all i did was go to a bike shop that had these racks, they used the key i was looking for (master key) to pull the 2 unlocked cylinders out and get the number on the side...

called up yakima and they had a key out to me in 3 days for 5$.

whole process took all of 10 minutes.

just so everyone knows...

#8 ·
since you have to buy new locks/keys set... just go buy your new set at a shop (REI, mountain bike shop, etc.) and use the master key lock from that set to take the old ones off....

or

if you dont need new lock/keys, just do the same as above... buy it, use the master key, then return it.

#9 ·
330LICIOUS said:
since you have to buy new locks/keys set... just go buy your new set at a shop (REI, mountain bike shop, etc.) and use the master key lock from that set to take the old ones off....

or

if you dont need new lock/keys, just do the same as above... buy it, use the master key, then return it.
i just asked them and they did it.. hassle free..

#10 ·
I bought the Kargo Master Congo Cage Utility crossbar kit to attach round Yakima cross bars to my Congo Cage rack on my jeep. What I am wondering, is there any type of locking bolt mechanism etc that I may could buy somewhere to secure my crossbars etc and also my Hully Rollers and Saddles, and lower my risk of having them stolen? (It may sound a little excessive, but being a female, people are more apt to try to take advantage of me so I want to be a step ahead) :)

#11 ·
Replacement thule or yakima rack keys / change keys

I know it's an old thread but a problem could be new to someone who would just google this and would stumble upon this thread so:

(UPDATE)

Best (cheapest) place for Thule or Yakima replacement keys!
On the net where you bid for things, ebay, name is 101LOCK !
2 keys (two!) with shipping around $6.5
They also have change/master keys for almost half of that amount.

Hope I helped somebody!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.