Anyone experienced with XJ engine swaps? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Anyone experienced with XJ engine swaps?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
TheMiddleMan

Anyone experienced with XJ engine swaps?

Hey everybody,

I am looking in the near future to do an engine swap in my '88 XJ. Right now I've got a rebuilt 2.5l 4cyl in there, but want to get some more power for towing small trailers etc...

Does anyone have experience with this?
What other Jeeps can I take engines from that will fit fairly smoothly into an XJ?

I have seen that YJ engines work, anything else?

What would the newest year be that I could transfer from?

And last but not least, is it worth it? The Jeep's in great shape otherwise, not a bad engine/great body, but I need more out of the vehicle and don't really have the money to go buy another daily driver at this point.

Thanks!

TheMiddleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You will need a complete donor Cherokee to swap from a 4cyl to a 6cyl. You need the engine, the PCM computer, the AW-4 computer, all the wire harnesses under both the hood and the dashboard, the AW-4 transmission, the transfer case, drive shafts, lots of smaller bits and pieces, etc.

What is it worth to you in time/effort/money ? The most practical solution is to sell the 4cyl and buy a 6 cyl Cherokee.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
TheMiddleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
You will need a complete donor Cherokee to swap from a 4cyl to a 6cyl. You need the engine, the PCM computer, the AW-4 computer, all the wire harnesses under both the hood and the dashboard, the AW-4 transmission, the transfer case, drive shafts, lots of smaller bits and pieces, etc.

What is it worth to you in time/effort/money ? The most practical solution is to sell the 4cyl and buy a 6 cyl Cherokee.
Damnit. I had a feeling it would be a bit of a pain in the a*s, but wasn't expecting that.
Thanks for the info, that makes my decision quite a bit easier.

TheMiddleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , engine swap , motor swap , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.