Anyone experienced with XJ engine swaps? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Anyone experienced with XJ engine swaps?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-01-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
TheMiddleMan

Anyone experienced with XJ engine swaps?

Hey everybody,

I am looking in the near future to do an engine swap in my '88 XJ. Right now I've got a rebuilt 2.5l 4cyl in there, but want to get some more power for towing small trailers etc...

Does anyone have experience with this?
What other Jeeps can I take engines from that will fit fairly smoothly into an XJ?

I have seen that YJ engines work, anything else?

What would the newest year be that I could transfer from?

And last but not least, is it worth it? The Jeep's in great shape otherwise, not a bad engine/great body, but I need more out of the vehicle and don't really have the money to go buy another daily driver at this point.

Thanks!

TheMiddleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You will need a complete donor Cherokee to swap from a 4cyl to a 6cyl. You need the engine, the PCM computer, the AW-4 computer, all the wire harnesses under both the hood and the dashboard, the AW-4 transmission, the transfer case, drive shafts, lots of smaller bits and pieces, etc.

What is it worth to you in time/effort/money ? The most practical solution is to sell the 4cyl and buy a 6 cyl Cherokee.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #3
TheMiddleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
You will need a complete donor Cherokee to swap from a 4cyl to a 6cyl. You need the engine, the PCM computer, the AW-4 computer, all the wire harnesses under both the hood and the dashboard, the AW-4 transmission, the transfer case, drive shafts, lots of smaller bits and pieces, etc.

What is it worth to you in time/effort/money ? The most practical solution is to sell the 4cyl and buy a 6 cyl Cherokee.
Damnit. I had a feeling it would be a bit of a pain in the a*s, but wasn't expecting that.
Thanks for the info, that makes my decision quite a bit easier.

TheMiddleMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee , engine swap , motor swap , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.