anyone buy bad CPS from autozone? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > anyone buy bad CPS from autozone?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 07-15-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
WesSRH
1994 XJ Cherokee 

anyone buy bad CPS from autozone?

anyone ever been sold a bad crank position sensor? i bought a no start jeep (no spark) and replace the cps but i am only getting 1 start a day after i turn it off it wont start again. run for 20 mins and ran for 5 seconds next day still same symptoms? checked the cps today got reading forgot what, but then ran it and i got different readings at one point i was at like 30,000 ohms i forgot what pins but i was reading 30.something k. i bought it from auto zone and they have 2 year warranty, so im gonna try and exchange it.

WesSRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
RamboPants
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Did you check to see if the wire was sitting on the exhaust pipe? I had to replace one that was 3 weeks old because i forgot to hook the wire back in the clip on top of the trans and it melted all but a few wires in half.
RamboPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
RamboPants
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Also change your fuel filter before you put anymore $ into it.
RamboPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
WesSRH
1994 XJ Cherokee 

well here is the deal it starts once a day twice if im lucky. when it wont start i tested for spark and there is none. ive ran it for 20 mins one time and for 5 seconds another i get the same results as soon as i turn it off it wont start again.so its not heat related. and it doesnt stall when running it runs like a champ till like i said i turn it off then it doesnt want to get spark. ive tested the ignition coil under no start conditions and it primary and secondary are what they should be. now ohm test on the A B connector pin reads 4.78 k ohm so about 5,000 ohms, was told that should be infinite, A and C pins read 6.14 which should be good, and from B and C i get 6.14 also. wire is fine not burnt, but thnx for that advise. vehicle drove perfect when friends mom parked it 4 years ago, her husband went to start it last fall to use as plow vehicle but it wouldn't get spark and his mechanic said CPS bring it over we will get it fixed, he didn't want to bother with towing it so they sold it to me for $500 so far Ive replaced gas, alternator and CPS it starts now but like i said once a day.
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #5
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

It does sound as if the CPS is flaky. I would swap it out and see if that fixes the problem. Autozone sells a crap part once in a while but are usually good about replacing it when it doesn't work.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bought my Borg Warner brand on at O'reilly, no problems since install 2 years ago. My TPS is the same brand, but from Advance, not sure who makes the one AZ sells.
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #7
WesSRH
1994 XJ Cherokee 

yea i looked online and my auto zone location shows they dont have any in stock they only had the one when i went in so if they dont im gonna get my money back (hopefully) and buy one from Thirlby automotive (local michigan part store) i can get the part at lowest possible price too. gonna have to send my uncle up there tho. im at work at 6:30 am till 6pm 7 days a week( one more wek of this **** left then i have weekends to go wheeling) and they close at 6, only reason i went to auto zone. any advise on other sensors i should replace or at least keep in the glove box? mainly anything that can go out and leave me stranded in the woods? dont know to much about jeeps just got this one cause well here in michigan $800 for a running 4 wheel drive cant say "no" and it was only $500 plus parts ill get pic up soon. im more of a ranger nut my slef but i love the looks of the jeep too plus i know inlines are better. any chance anyone knows how big i can bore it out? its the 4.0 H.O. could iu get it to a 4.9? like the ford 300 I6?
Unread 07-16-2010, 05:45 AM   #8
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Try reading the millivolt ouput on the CPS while cranking instead. Just unplug it from the harness and take your reading there. You should have a minimum of 350 AC MV or you will have starting issues.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
WesSRH
1994 XJ Cherokee 

well bought a new CPS from Thirlby automotive, and got it in went to start and nothing. havent tested anything yet, gonna test for spark tonight, and then get the DVOM out
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
WesSRH
1994 XJ Cherokee 

well i did have a bad CPS acording to ohm test and i wasnt getting voltage from the cps. new one from thirlby tested fine no spark, but found out it was the cam sensor (aka stator, or pickup coil) starts every time now
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I should clarify that the voltage test I described in the above post is one I've only used on Renix. I can't verify if it works on the Chryco system.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cps , crank position sensor , crank sensor , crankshaft position

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.